BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can you tell me if the US model 540i has the same getrag 6speed as the M5? and which motor is less problematic.... the m5 5.0L or the 4.4 on the 540i? thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Everyone must have their own oppinion

and we are all interested in seeing what others have to say...I bet there are many similarities
And of course the ///M obviously generates more HP so I'd imagine it comes at a 'premium' price. The 540 doesn't have the 'rel;ability' monster reputation of say the Honda or Toyota than again I am not trading mine for anything...like everyone else here I love my ride...and I'd gladly compare to ANY ///M dollar for dollar... Good Luck in tyour quest for an answer

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi, can you tell me if the US model 540i has the same getrag 6speed as the M5? and which motor is less problematic.... the m5 5.0L or the 4.4 on the 540i? thanks a lot.
Yes.

The clutch is different. All E39 M5s are manual as the slushbox could not handle the torque. 540s are not a model of reliability - see "cooling system"; but M5s have their own special problems such as carbon buildup in the secondary air pump which ain't cheap to fix.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Yes.

The clutch is different. All E39 M5s are manual as the slushbox could not handle the torque. 540s are not a model of reliability - see "cooling system"; but M5s have their own special problems such as carbon buildup in the secondary air pump which ain't cheap to fix.
the cooling system problems spans not only all e39's but all bmw's.

as for the clutch itself, if you go with the clutchmaster, it's the same. for the flywheel with JB Racing ltw, the timing gears are different. the actual tranny does have slight differences but nothing dramatic enough internally for one to claim fame as being the "better' one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had about the same reliability in both cars over many years although I have been quite surprised by that since the driving experience is so different. The stock clutch is the same in both cars but the M really needs to be a beefier unit. The 540 unit has outlasted two in the M..the added torque just eats 'em up. The biggest difference in the cars (beyond the engine) in terms of driveline is the differential..the M lock diff is awesome as I am sure most know.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Interesting: http://RealOEM.com lists different part numbers for the 540i clutch/flywheel and the M5 clutch/flywheel, which means nothing of course, But they also show different part numbers for two separate M5 C/FW units, one of which has been discontinued. What the changes are if any, I do not know.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The gear ratios within the transmission are all the same between the M5 and 540.
I believe though that the M5 transmission internally is a bit stronger than a 540i transmission.

·
Coole Russen
1,304 Posts
First, M5 has 4,9L engine. Second, M5 gearbox is same getrag unit as in 540, in M5 BMW used stronger clutch than in 540. And yeah, to fix carbon build up issue, it costs around $8000. If you don't believe me, go to m5board.com and see what they gonna say. Good luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The carbon issue isn't a performance issue at all however. It is simply a blockage of the passages used for the secondary air system used during the car's startup. So really it only "matters" to emissions and stuff like that which if I'm not mistaken is not a drastic issue even WITH the blockage.

There is a software fix that I want to say runs only $1000 but don't quote me on the price.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The carbon issue isn't a performance issue at all however. It is simply a blockage of the passages used for the secondary air system used during the car's startup. So really it only "matters" to emissions and stuff like that which if I'm not mistaken is not a drastic issue even WITH the blockage.

There is a software fix that I want to say runs only $1000 but don't quote me on the price.
Correct

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the great responses. So is this carbon issue a hit or miss kind of deal or do all m5's get it? I'd really hate to shed thousands of dollars on an issue like that.... I'd rather spend it on performance parts like better clutch etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts