BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E39 523i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im having problems with my abs working correctly.
It all started with playing around on snowy roads when my abs light came on, now it comes on every time when i turn my steering wheel.

I've replaced passenger side front abs sensor and the drivers side has been replaced earlier by the previous owner.
could it be the abs module? its a bosch 5.0 so its not even repairable or that's what i've found out.

I can't get the codes read because my 1996 e39 has the big round 20pin connector and no one or no local shops have it anymore.
my speedo and the fuel thingy work, it has bit of a hard time up shifting it yanks or something like that.

·
Registered
1996 E39 523i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really need to get the codes for this problem and any other that you may have in the future. They sell adaptors for the round connector.
yeah i know 😅 i've owned the car for 3 months now and never have had any elecrical issues till now. i have been planning to get it for a while but never did.
what cable should i get that works with the adaptor and inpa and all the other stuff?

·
Registered
1996 E39 523i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
8,081 Posts
Does your year have the steering angle sensor? I had to have mine replaced at around 240k miles. Its on the steering column.
It could just need recalibration, if you are lucky, otherwise replacement

·
Premium Member
8,081 Posts
where is it located could be worth checking, but will get codes read soon
I believe you have to remove the steering wheel to replace it. Otherwise there is nothing to check, you must have the proper scan tool to read and calibrate it.

·
Registered
2001 BMW E39 540i Automatic Sedan, 200 k miles
2,370 Posts
where is it located could be worth checking, but will get codes read soon
Yep, you are really shooting in the dark here.
First step : Get the ABS error codes.
(Hint : buy the inpa k+dcan cable, download and install INPA on a laptop, then read the error codes from the ABS module, and any other module in the car).

·
Registered
1996 E39 523i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ABS unit pin - ABS sensor pin
Front left:
35 - 1
10 - 2
Front right:
15 - 1
14 - 2
If you have a pre 98 car with an ASC button on the center console, you most likely don't have a steering angle sensor.
Yea its pre 98 with ASC. Would it be worth trying a new abs module or what's it called, my friend has one that he doesn't need

·
Registered
1996 E39 523i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, you are really shooting in the dark here.
First step : Get the ABS error codes.
(Hint : buy the inpa k+dcan cable, download and install INPA on a laptop, then read the error codes from the ABS module, and any other module in the car).
Yesterday i ordered k+dcan cable with a switch and the 20pin adaptor, should be getting them soon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts