BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this E39 and i had a guy put a motor in it. about a couple months into driving it the trans started downshifting as i came to a stop like a manual trans would then on take off it wouldnt go until it reved to 1000 rpms then took off and peeled out. this all happens while the saftey gear light is on. the minute i shut the car off and reset the gear light symptoms disappear. did he not fill the trans fluid properly? is it a solenoid in the trans. Is this worth fixing or should i put a used trans in? something is not right.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It could be a number of things. Did he even drain the trans? That's not necessary to replace an engine. I would start by checking to see if the trans has been serviced, if it hasn't start there. Also, get codes from the trans read with a BMW specific scanner.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My car downshifts roughly when the fluid needs to be changed. Might just need a fluid service. That would be in the $500 range depending on the fluid you used.

The banging and weird gears was something my car did when the throttle body / throttle position failed. I know at different points in that experience I did NOT have a CEL, though I did have codes and driveablility issues. BMW does NOT set the CEL for all codes, only OBD ones. You can have "BMW level" codes in the system with no warning lights.

As suggested, scanning for codes an/or scanning for oddities (fuel trim, trans stuff) would be where I would start. A competent BMW mechanic should be able to do that for well less than $500. Might be $150 though. You're going to want someone beyond a general service shop. Someone who knows how to work on German stuff and has dealer level scan tools.

Depending how close you are to these guys
http://www.raauto.com/
They'd be really highly recommended.

Scott

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i have a guy who was a BMW service tech who offered to look at it and give me an estimate. i think the car is worth saving cause nobody wants to buy a car with issues they dont anything about. It turns into a parts car at that point.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
thanks guys i have a guy who was a BMW service tech who offered to look at it and give me an estimate. i think the car is worth saving cause nobody wants to buy a car with issues they dont anything about. It turns into a parts car at that point.
Have you thought about changing the trans fluid yourself? You can get fluid for about $15/qt.

Jim

·
Registered
287 Posts
Transmission behavior can be affected by many things. You need to at least pull the codes to start somewhere. It could be, vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, bad alternator and many other things, besides actual transmission problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts