BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 Auto Trunk Pop

2033 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  528iAut
I'm looking to see if anyone knows if the automatic trunk pop when you pull on the handle was only started in 1999 or if it should work on the 1998 models as well. Also, if the 1998 model is supposed to have it, what could be causing it to not work.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
"Automatic trunk pop?" Don't know what you mean.

If the car is unlocked, when you squeeze the rubber handle in the center of the trunk lid, the actuator works, and the trunk unlatches, unless the key slot is in "Valet mode" (horizontal).

If it does not, the rubber is worn out, and is preventing operation. Replace it.
Perhaps you're referring to SCA (soft close actuation) whicih is what the e38 sedans have...and (correct me if wrong) only the e39 Tourings had SCA (tailgate) if imported to the USA.

The SCA trunk (e38) and tailgate (e39 & e53 facelift)...does not fully open the tailgate or trunk...but it does pop it open a few inches above the level that it catches the trunk/tailgate to close it.

Yea this is what I was referring to. Sorry to sound confusing, I just didn't know how to word it. When I squeeze my rubber handle I can feel the handle pressing in, but nothing happens. How would I get the key slot out of valet mode?
"Automatic trunk pop?" Don't know what you mean.

If the car is unlocked, when you squeeze the rubber handle in the center of the trunk lid, the actuator works, and the trunk unlatches, unless the key slot is in "Valet mode" (horizontal).

If it does not, the rubber is worn out, and is preventing operation. Replace it.
turn the key slot in the trunk lid to vertical and remove the key.
The different modes for the key valet mode is explained in the manual.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.