BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have read all of the posts with interest, and decided to try a different approach to my creaking driving door seal (which was really annoying). The solution to my problem was this:

1. Removed all silicon from the door seals (used intensive tar spot remover from Autoglym)
2. Carefully cleaned the seals all-round, then applied leather care cream to lubricate the seals and soften them - including the top seal (lip).
3. I noticed that the metal painted framework that the door seals connect to when closed had small pieces of rubber (very tiny) stuck to it - probably from the selas over a long time. I cleaned the interior frame carefully then gave it a serious coating of car polish. I think this makes all the difference!

The door has not creaked since and is completely silent. The seals are the old type (1997) and have not been replaced.
I would suggest polishing your door frames with a good wax, then cleaning the seals carefully.

Hope this helps - it is certainly cost-effective and works on my car, plus my mates 530d.
:)

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
Actually, BMW specifically recommends that your NOT wax your door jams...instead preferring that you clean them well of the rubber residue with alcohol. Then, clean and treat the various rubber seals. I have used Gummipfledge, plain Glycerine (from drug store) and the new (expensive!) Carbaflo, which BMW sells in place of the Gummipfledge. They all seem to work about the same, lasting 3 or 4 months before requiring reapplication.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,627 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
I have used Gummipfledge, plain Glycerine (from drug store) and the new (expensive!) Carbaflo, which BMW sells in place of the Gummipfledge. They all seem to work about the same, lasting 3 or 4 months before requiring reapplication.
I use an Einzette product called Gummiphledge. Does the same thing and has a handy shoe polish applicator.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
PropellerHead said:
I use an Einzette product called Gummiphledge. Does the same thing and has a handy shoe polish applicator.
That would be the same as liquid Glycerine, which you can buy at the drug store for $3. I wish they still made the original BMW Gummipfledge, as the thicker, gel consistancy "appeared" to last a bit longer.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,627 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
That would be the same as liquid Glycerine, which you can buy at the drug store for $3. I wish they still made the original BMW Gummipfledge, as the thicker, gel consistancy "appeared" to last a bit longer.
Hmmff.. I used BMW's Gummiphledge when I did the high gloss upgrades a couple of years ago. I didn't remember it being any thicker than this stuff. This stuff is ab $5.

·
Premium Member
7,687 Posts
PropellerHead said:
Hmmff.. I used BMW's Gummiphledge when I did the high gloss upgrades a couple of years ago. I didn't remember it being any thicker than this stuff. This stuff is ab $5.
Well, I admit I was guessing, based on your description....so this has the same consistancy...sort of like a clear grease? Based on the description and bottle shape, I figured it was more of a liquid with a sponge applicator. Both products use glycerine as the main ingrediant...though they thicken it, over the liquid you can buy at the drug store.

·
Brevity= the soul of wit
11,627 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
Well, I admit I was guessing, based on your description....so this has the same consistancy...sort of like a clear grease? Based on the description and bottle shape, I figured it was more of a liquid with a sponge applicator. Both products use glycerine as the main ingrediant...though they thicken it, over the liquid you can buy at the drug store.
It may not be AS thick as the BMW stuff, but it's not liquid by my fairly recent recollection. I've never seen the stuff at the drug store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts