BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm tinkering with the idea of making a dual exhaust, with a single tip on each side. I'm not a huge fan on the m style bumper, so i was wondering if it has been done on "standard" bumper / non m bumper?

I've photoshopped a picture of how it could look, what do you guys think? Should i try and make it or just go for an m style bumper with dual exhaust?

And before anyone says it, i know i might have to modify the wheel well ;)

Anyways, heres a pic.
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light

·
Registered
15,779 Posts
A "true" dual exhaust requires modifying the spare tire well on the sedan. Don't know about the Touring.

·
Registered
1999 528i Touring 5 Speed
10 Posts
A "true" dual exhaust requires modifying the spare tire well on the sedan. Don't know about the Touring.
Yes, from the time I've spent underneath my own touring, it would either be a very large hassle to route it around the tire well, or require cutting for someone who doesn't care about their spare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, from the time I've spent underneath my own touring, it would either be a very large hassle to route it around the tire well, or require cutting for someone who doesn't care about their spare.
Agree. There is no room for a second set of pipes all back from the cats if it is not an M-car. However, I borrowed an idea from some other brands and made a flat plate and welded a non-functional shorty pipe. It looks nice as does your mock up photo. I wish I had ur photo shop skills

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Some have cut the side of the trunk floor, welded in a half moon piece of sheet metal for that second pipe from the dead leg of the resonator. No muffler on that side, and the spare tire still fit in the well.

Reactions: Mick11

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cool. I would like to see pictures of that and learn. I don't have a resonator so that wouldn't be an option. I agree with an earlier post that the most hp gains on my e39 540i came from new plugs and especially coil packs. Domestic coil packs are usually working or not. It is interesting that BMW coil packs don't really do that so often. The hp just does down. The second most power gain came from a DUDMD tune. The third came from deleting 4 of something I won't say in case there are California democrats reading this. I fear tons of ill mannered responses lol. The M60 intake was worth it. As you know, big hp gains are not on the exhaust end of modern engines, they are on the intake side. Having said that the aesthetics of two pipes out the back are awesome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How will you put a rolled edge on your cut trim? I have GT ground effects so I cut my fiberglass. It isn't as nice as the premolded other side but I am probably the only one who knows there is a bent nail under the drywall.

·
Registered
15,779 Posts
My daddy always said, "Looks don't make it run."

He believed in functionality.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol. Sounds like the farmers around here with their hydraulic leaking tractors that they just putting more fluid into and keep running. When my dad was alive he used to say that beauty is only skin deep...but ugly goes all the way through :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts