BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello , so i have this problem with my BMW e39 525 tds 105 kw, 143ps.
So i changed the belt, the little roll, steering pump, water pump and the alternator.
But my car still is not tunning properly.
Everytime I steer , the battery light comes on and the battery is not charging, the belt starts to go really slow and I get these weird noises. And everytime I drive with more than 2000 rmp it starts to overheat and one time the engine started even shaking the whole car and white smoke came out.
I drove like 15 km after I got the car back from the mechanic and it started again .does somebody have an idea ?

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
When you changed the belt, did you properly preload the tensioner? It must go all the way to the end of the slot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you changed the belt, did you properly preload the tensioner? It must go all the way to the end of the slot.
Yes.
I just found the problem why it makes noises. There is a big metal thing that is behind the ring from the engine where the belt is connected, and its loose , and it keeps shaking, that's the noise. Probably the machanic didnt sustain it.
So he changed the water pump, belt, tensioner, alternator and the steering pump. And every time now i steer, battery is not charging and the belt spins really slowly. So I think that's the reason too why it keeps overheating.
Two friends said it could be the steering pumps fault why the belt keeps slowing down when i steer. They said its probably broken or just a cheap piece. Or it could be that all the pipes from the steering pump ar dirty and i should clean them. Is it possible?

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Make sure the belt is on right. Can you take pictures?

Also check the bmw5 uk forum. They can provide better help with the diesel engine over there

1 - 4 of 4 Posts