BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, first post here. I'm a long time BMW fan, though I don't own one myself. My mother has an E39, 2003 530i. It's near 68K miles and starting to develop some repair issues. So over the last week I've been wrenching on it off & on and trying to absorb as much info here as possible.

Question: is there some trick to getting the fan & shroud off the 6 cylinder? We needed to replace an alternator & belts. At this point I've done it, but [email protected]#$ what a nightmare!

Seems like the stupid thing has to come off for quite a few repair & maintenance jobs so there has to be some trick or technique I'm missing. I got the fan off the WP no prob, but pulling the whole thing out, with all the attached hoses, etc was rough, and I put a few dents in the radiator fins.

Any suggestions? (yeah, I searched, didn't find any.)

-Thanks, Wayne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Thanks! Wish I would have asked last week. Didn't find that one googling or searching here :(

Disconnecting the overflow tank hose at the radiator side, rather than the tank side would have been easier. I thought about going in from the bottom for the hoses; guess I should have. Have a friend that's an M.E. at the Spartanburg BMW plant (and owns like 5 models himself) that told me the hammer on the fan trick (thanks Rob!) And in case anyone else reads this while trying the same job -- the screw on the pump retainer is a T20 Torx.

Still an all around PITA. Welp, gotta go finish stuffing the air box assy back in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.