BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have an R&R procedure for the removal and replacement of the E39 front seat power headrest?

It's not covered in the Bentleys.
If it's as simple as tugging, then I guess I need to apply more force.
I don't want to set off the pyrotechnic charge in the seat belts (as they are, unfortunately, wrapped very tightly around the head rest posts).

Someone on bimmerfest must've removed their power headrest.
Is it removed from the top or from the rear of the front seat?

The (embarrassing) reason I ask is covered in the BMW thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1208488#post1208488

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
chivas said:
there's a WHAT!!??!?? in the WHERE!?!?!?!??!?
a pyrotechinc charge!????!?
You're in luck.
The explosive charge is mounted in the FEMALE part of the seat belt (the seatbelt lock on the floor).

It's supposed to quickly reduce your waistline by about two inches in case of an accident.

But be careful. You don't want one of those bottle rockets going off in your face while you're poking around down there.

If the pyrotechnic seat belt tensioner goes off, the WHOLE seat belt needs to be replaced (not to mention your face).

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
Ahem said:
You're in luck.
The explosive charge is mounted in the FEMALE part of the seat belt (the seatbelt lock on the floor).

It's supposed to quickly reduce your waistline by about two inches in case of an accident.

But be careful. You don't want one of those bottle rockets going off in your face while you're poking around down there.

If the pyrotechnic seat belt tensioner goes off, the WHOLE seat belt needs to be replaced (not to mention your face).
really? didn't know there was a bomb located there in the car. knew there was one at the battery side.

reduce my waistline?? calling me fat? :D

·
Oscar
650 Posts
I was also scared when I went to remove my headrest, but just make a fist under the headrest and and pound/tap it out, it wont come out if you tug on it. It takes quite a bit of force to get it loose. Don't worry you wont break it.

One thing to consider is that I have the comfort seats, head rests are a little different but they should remove the same way.

·
Oscar
650 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention when you go back to put the headrest in, you have to pound on the top of it to snap it in place. The best way to do this put in the headrest, make a fist and pound it down, then lower the head rest all the way using the power option. if it does not lower all the way push down on the head rest some more and it should snap in place.

If you have any more questions about removing/installing the head rest let me know.

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oscswa said:
If you have any more questions about removing/installing the head rest let me know.
Removing & replacing the BMW power headrest was EXACTLY as you said it was!

It's amazing how much courage one has when someone has already led the way for them! Thanks for the advice. It was right on the money.

For the next guy, here's how I removed & replaced the BMW power head rest:
o Raise the power head rest to the full upright position using the button provided
o Place your fist between the bottom of the headrest & the top of the seat
o Twist forcefully until the headrest slips out of the grasp of the electric motor
o If the power head rest doesn't budge, then twist more forcefully until the power motor relinquishes its hold on the headrest legs
-----
To replace the BMW power headrest:
o Place the headrest legs back into the slots provided in the seat back
o Press forcefully with your palm (more pressure than you would think you need) to seat the headrest legs into the grasp of the motor
o Operate the up/down electric controls on the seat bottom
o If the headrest doesn't move properly (mine was initially sluggish on the upward stroke), press down some more until the headrest moves smoothly in the motor controls

Chalk one up to Bimmerfest courage built by knowing that someone has been there and done that before!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Feel free to post this in the DIY section. I'm curious why you removed the headrest...what else were you doing to the seats?

·
Matching beemer & bimmer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Estcoast1 said:
Installing some monitors maybe?
Hooking up DVD for the kids in the back panel WOULD be a nice idea!

Unfortunately, my reason is more mundane and a LOT less exciting.

Specifically, the (very embarrassing) reason I asked is covered in the BMW thread
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...488#post1208488.

Basically, my kids wrapped the seatbelt so tightly around the headrest that the only way to unlatch it was to remove the headrest (or unbolt the seatbelt).

Now ... about installing those DVD monitors ... :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
:thumbup: Love kids.... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.