BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my 2003 e39 520i second hand, at first it was all fine until I tried to start it last week. I noticed a quite strong fuel smell outside the car. I also just noticed that my fuel economy is lower than the usual e39 520i. I got around 19-20 l/100 km. I also noticed that my car is a bit slower than my friend's e39 520i. I didn't see any oil spill under the car. My car had only done 22000 km because the previous owner left the country and just recently got back. So far I have replaced the sparkplugs, tires, battery, and suspension. Please help, it is my first car.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
is it leaking fuel?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
that doesn't mean you don't have hoses that are weeping fuel, or an injector body leak.

·
ALGhoul
1,254 Posts
In addition to what mentioned above
Or oxygen sensor need replacement or maf air mass sensor or may be faulty air mass or air leakege from air filter to throttle body all hoses need checking not visually you have to remove and check
Or idle control valve and throttle body need cleaning
Check friend

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I crashed my BMW about 2-3 weeks ago before I can get it to a mechanic. It's quite bad. I crashed into a lamp post at around 100-130 kmh. Airbags works and luckily it I didn't sustain any injury. The steering struts at the left wheel broke and the radiator got bodged. I lose traction when I try to corner at high speed. I regret this desicion. I should have turned the traction control on. There is no body damage except for the bonnet and front bumper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts