Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys here is a list of few problems that had occur on my e39.
First:mad: :mad: :mad:
-transmision malfunction code
-airbag light kept fading in and out
-followed by stereo blinkin and dying
took it to shop all they said was that they found some low voltage codes, alternator seems to be working fine and that my ignition could be goin bad..
weeks later..
-something crazy happened while driving my steering wheel kept adjusting itself goin up and down and this was happening while driving...engine light came on days later, then i stopped driving my car for 2 days. drove my bike during that time and made an appoinment with the dealer, drove my car after those two days and engine light disappear...:dunno: just came on again yesterday and disappear today again..:dunno: and now my stereo blinks from time to time and sometimes doesnt work when i tried to start the car...and i have to play with the ignition positions between 0-1 key position prior to starting the car... TRANS MALfunction not comin ON anymore,Thankz god im taking the car friday to the dealer...Any Advice and Just a couple question how long would the disc brake will last before they need to be replaced with new ones, i still have the one that came with the car i think:rolleyes: , im second owner and its a 99....When is inspection I - II are Due a run down on what they do if you, and is it worth it or can i do it myself with basic mechanic skills and at what milage do they recomend it... I have 61k mile on her...Thankz for any help guys.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Step1, replace the battery unless you know it has been replaced in the last two years. Low voltage is a common problem with older batteries and that will lead to a series of often bizarre symtoms.

Bill

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:mad: Just about how much would the whole ignition would cost me and will drain my pockets, since BMW repairs is so high....ballpark amount if it does happen that this is the problem:bigpimp:

·
Registered
598 Posts
It sounds indeed like some sort of generic power distribution problem.
Check the battery and alternator first, also make sure that the regulator
is not shot (ie not giving too low or too high voltage when charging)

·
Registered
427 Posts
5erBlCkBiMm said:
:mad: Just about how much would the whole ignition would cost me and will drain my pockets, since BMW repairs is so high....ballpark amount if it does happen that this is the problem:bigpimp:
Actually, it is quite cheap - about $50(?) for the part plus about 15 minutes labour.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I definitely would check the battery and alternator first myself as well. Hope that it doesn't turn out to be too expensive of a fix if it's something else.

·
Plays with a stick
1,735 Posts
I agree, battery is the first suspect.
I like the euro-angel eyes on your car. I considered doing the clear turn signals in back as well but haven't gotten around to it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to keep an update of my car....Car is back to normal for now..."Its CRAZY MODE" disappear by itslef:dunno: , its been 4 days acting normal...i dont even have to play with my ignition anymore, no check engine light anymore, very strange though cuz it did reset by itself, and i thought we couldnt reset that without running the codes and resetting with a tool...NO NADA, ZIP...:) But i guess i should not ignore that...But battery would be my 1st thing, Now the alternator the BMW Shop checked it and said it was ok....Just glad to have my baby back to perfect condition...Thankz Guys for all ur advice...:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts