BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help was driving my e39 I started making a grinding noise on the left side on the car metal on metal when I make right turns or low speed i then hit a pothole in the street same left side of vehicle it started making a louder grnding sound to the point I had to glide down the street no gas kinda at all till I can park it's real loud and smell like the inside my tire was rubbing something it's drop in the front a little just want some insight

·
Registered
105 Posts
Your thrust arms? Those prone to failure. How's your brakes / rotors? I mean camber can be an...too many to just speculate bring it in and have them look at it. Time for some PM accordingly to the mileage of your car I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Trust arms or lower control arms. When my failed I had a very loud metal grinding and popping noise.

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
Get it up on a lift.

Take a course in punctuation.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Smell of rubber, not good. As ed as said, you must get the car up in the air to see what has happened. If you don't feel comfortable working on it, I suggest you not drive it, have it towed to a shop you trust.

Jim

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sounds like your brake shield inner ring popped. Carefully take off the wheel, brakes, and just remove the rotor screw (the rotor bracket does not need to come off). Pull the rotor to an angle so that you have enough space to pull out the piece of brake shield. This happened to both my driver and passenger side once i removed the brake shield inner rings all quiet as a mouse now.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539931

If its not that, then please let us know what the fix turned out to be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts