BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 1997 E39 540 with OEM projector headlights with the factory xenon package. I am looking for feedback on aftermarket headlight upgrades.
I am looking at a few options:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/E...eadlights_HID_Angel_Eyes_Included-139-95.html

Has anyone bought these headlights from DDM? Also, what is the difference between the 3 types of Angle Eyes they offer? Would you go for the 35w or 55w?

Also:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/1997-2003-BMW-5-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item563738e9cc

Would my xenon bulbs fit into these headlights from ebay or would I have to use the halogens that come with it? Big difference in price from the DDM's but the DDM's come with the HIDS...

And ERROR (bulb out) messages?? Inevitable? Ive heard of simple fixes but i guess thats for me to worry about once I have them installed.

Thanks Alot!

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
35w is less bright than 55w. You need to be very careful with the aiming if you get the 55w as it'll blind oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I would only consider this changeout if you are more interested in cosmetics (angel eyes look) than performance (factory xenon). Everything I have read is that aftermarket HID solutions are not as good (e.g. beam shape, distance, warning lights, etc.) as the OEM lamps. If those eBay lamps are made for H7, then that's what you should use. Several folks have modified their OEM halogen angel eyes to accomodate a xenon bulb but there is a bit of work involved. Again, performance is somewhat compromised because the modified xenon filament position is not exactly the same as the OEM HID angel eyes.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I bought my car used and the PO purchased similiar ebay lights. They are absolute garbage my left lens point at the ground and the "angel eyes" do not illuminate its more of a dull blue glow.
I'm saving up for the DDM's.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I agree with Fudman on thi sone. If you have the Hella stock HIDs, they are higher quality than you're likely to get in the aftermarket. I would get an angel eye kit for far less money and install that. Or, you could do what I did an leave it, save for repolishing the lenses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts