BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My first thread!. I have jus purchased a e39 523 saloon , The clutch pedal seems very heavy in opperation , but no sign of slipping on drive take-up. Can anyone tell me if this is a cable opperated pedal or hydraulic one , any ideas what it could be ?

· Registered
798 Posts
maza523 said:
Hi, My first thread!. I have jus purchased a e39 523 saloon , The clutch pedal seems very heavy in opperation , but no sign of slipping on drive take-up. Can anyone tell me if this is a cable opperated pedal or hydraulic one , any ideas what it could be ?
Welcome to the club. The E39 clutch is hydraulic, but it feels heavier than most other hydraulic clutches. It is almost twice as "heavy" as the clutch in my Integra.

Hope this helps...JL

· Premium Member
6,573 Posts
Do BMWs sold in the UK have the dreaded CDV installed? CDV is the clutch delay valve or sometimes it is called a lock valve.

Do a search on here...you'll find plenty of info on this irritating little device. If you can get your car on a ramp or jack it up, it is pretty easy to see if you have one.

I'm not saying this device makes the clutch feel heavy but it can make 1-2 and 2-3 shifts "funny" for you.

· swinging a big stick
4,050 Posts
SRFast said:
Welcome to the club. The E39 clutch is hydraulic, but it feels heavier than most other hydraulic clutches. It is almost twice as "heavy" as the clutch in my Integra.

Hope this helps...JL
That's because the Integra has the greatest clutch ever. It's reason enough to keep one around. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.