BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka Chi-chi
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...am I the last guy to figure this out? The article below says that Chris Bangle was "the man responsible with giving the [e39] Five a newer face." Well, I think he did a great job on the e39. :bigpimp:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Why are we even surprised? Bangle was design director at BMW since '92. All models designed after that period, technically, are Bangle's responsibilities, and that includes all the wildly popular models such as the E36/7, E39, E46, X5, and Z8.

The main difference is that Wolfgang Reitzle used to be the head of BMW and he had a better "reign" on Bangle. However, from what I understand, all the new models appearing now (1, 5, 6, 7, Z4) all bore out of a huge design brainstorm in '96, when Reitzle was still head of BMW.

·
aka Chi-chi
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Hack...

As a relative newbie to the Bimmer world, the whole movement to hang Bangle is intriguing. If he's been the Director of Design for so long, why the furor all of a sudden? Do you have any good references for reading about Bangle and BMW's design history? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Re: Thanks Hack...

Cruzer said:
As a relative newbie to the Bimmer world, the whole movement to hang Bangle is intriguing. If he's been the Director of Design for so long, why the furor all of a sudden? Do you have any good references for reading about Bangle and BMW's design history? Thanks.
Cruzer-

The reason for the furor all of a sudden is that many people think that all of the recently introduced designs from BMW are awful. No one really complained much in prior years because the designs were generally good. Things started to go down hill with the X coupe and Z9 show cars and just don't seem to be getting any better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.