BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i took my 00 E39 to the local dealership for servicing.

I bought my car through a friend at the dealers auction. The car i bought had 61K miles on it, but when i took it to have it serviced at the BMW dealership, they told me that the key has a chip intalled in it that records milage and that it reads 66K miles on vehicle. SO NOW... my cluster shows 63k and the key reads 68K miles.

My question are all regarding the KEY:
1. How the hell can the stupid key record how much miles the car has been driven?
2. What if the primary key is not used, and instead a secondary key is used. Can there be more miles on my car, if the previous owner had used a second key?
3. If i get another key and use that instead....Will the milage recorded by the primary key stay at 68k, and will the new key show AND start at 0 miles????

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wonder if you have some burnt out pixels for the mileage and that's why you're reading the "wrong" mileage on the odometer? Seems like a logical explanantion to me. If you're going to try to clock a car, I'm sure you'd do it for more than 5k mi.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i can see how you'd come up with those questions based on that experience. i can't believe the key is indicating more mileage than the vehicle's odometer. that makes no sense. i guess the key is like an analog-type unit that does rack on the miles. #2 more miles on the car than what the car's odometer is indicating. that's a bad situation and i didn't think that it was too easy to do on our cars.
for #3 i'd want to say no and that the new key will be updated as soon as it is used in the car. but after your experience of the key with more, i dunno.

if the key is not simply just a secondary/back-up database/memory to the car's computer, but instead an independent mileage counting device then sh*t i don't know what the hell is goin on

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the dealership said that perhaps the odometer may have been replaced. but when i got the title of the car it showed the correct milage...same as what on the odometer.

Maybe i should get a new key, so i wont run into this problem again.

i wonder if other have had similar problems or know more info regarding milage recorded by the key???

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crvtt said:
I wonder if you have some burnt out pixels for the mileage and that's why you're reading the "wrong" mileage on the odometer? Seems like a logical explanantion to me. If you're going to try to clock a car, I'm sure you'd do it for more than 5k mi.
NOPE....no burnt pixels on the milage

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Why would a key be used to track mileage? I would guess this would show if the mileage was reversed. But 5k would not get you any extra $$ at a sale.

I have a new key, I assume after it is programed and used for the first time the computer sets the correct mileage, Does the Stealer have a unit that pulls that info??

I am impressed at the technology in these cars.

·
Registered
132 Posts
over this way, the dealer has a docking cradle that they insert the key in and it updates all the car information (mileage, etc) in the BMW computer system. They've been doing that when i come in for service for my previous '03 330, '05 530, and now also with the '03 540.
apparently the key does store additional mileage data. as far as how the key shows different than the odometer, i'm lost. the dealership cannot arbitrarily enter mileage update and have it show up on the key as they key links to the computer in the car.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
kyakubov said:
it's not making sense... i do not beleive the key records any information about milage.
IT DOES RECORD MILEAGE!!!!!!!! among other things that we are not aware...

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
kyakubov said:
it's not making sense... i do not beleive the key records any information about milage.
Every time I take my E39 in for any service, the service manager takes my key, waves it past a reader connected to his computer and he gets the kilometer read out - from the key.

And this is old news, BTW.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Your instrument cluster has most likely been replaced. If you buy and install a used cluster which has 65K on it, but your car really only has been driven 60K, the higher of the two will take precedence. This is one of the problems with buying a used cluster. If you buy and install a brand new cluster, the dealer will code it to the correct mileage. It has nothing to do with the key. The key simply has a chip which records the vehicle make, model, mileage, VIN, etc. It is updated every time the key is inserted into the ignition.

·
Registered
208 Posts
tmoody said:
over this way, the dealer has a docking cradle that they insert the key in and it updates all the car information (mileage, etc) in the BMW computer system. They've been doing that when i come in for service for my previous '03 330, '05 530, and now also with the '03 540.
apparently the key does store additional mileage data. as far as how the key shows different than the odometer, i'm lost. the dealership cannot arbitrarily enter mileage update and have it show up on the key as they key links to the computer in the car.
yea...those key readers are quite something. immediately they know just about everything about you and your car. now if only it could tell me where to find some more cash to pay for the car!! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SO...what you guys are saying that even if i buy another new key, the computer in the car will update the new key to the higher milage which is more than what the odometer reads?? OR will will the new key start fresh at 0miles which would indicate that it is a new key????

I just dont want my key to show higher milage than the odometer anymore when taking it in for servicing....NOW, if its less, i guess i could live with it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lastcall said:
Another option could be the odometer/speedometer stopped working such as the DSC/ABS issue that I'm currently having.
i think the previous owner may have replaced the odometer...RIGHT NOW, im just trying to fix this key problem so that it shows either the odometer milage or lower than it

·
Registered
208 Posts
aa_arvan said:
i think the previous owner may have replaced the odometer...RIGHT NOW, im just trying to fix this key problem so that it shows either the odometer milage or lower than it
well, i would imagine that the key mileage is the correct mileage. BMW may be able to reset the odometer to the key mileage, but it will cost you (i can't imagine BMW would rollback your key mileage as that would be fraud). does it really matter that much...its not like it's out by a large margin?

·
Stimulus Package
4,245 Posts
BEWARE--your key is recording your mileage, your exact whereabouts, your mods, your cell phone calls, your ATM PIN, your wife's bra size, and many other things! All this information is being collected by BMWNA every time you get your car serviced, and one day they will use all this information to replace us all with androids and sell our organs on the black market.

This is why I never go to the dealer for service. It's EVIL.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:angel: :rofl:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jpettit said:
well, i would imagine that the key mileage is the correct mileage. BMW may be able to reset the odometer to the key mileage, but it will cost you (i can't imagine BMW would rollback your key mileage as that would be fraud). does it really matter that much...its not like it's out by a large margin?
what if i buy a new key....would that key have 0 miles on it...or would it be programed by computer on the car to the same milage thats on the original key???????

·
Registered
333 Posts
Okay, this may be a stretch...but my speedometer is off by 4 mph vs. the gps. Is this enough to offset the odometer on the key versus the dash readout vs. the gps computer over time and miles?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts