Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many if you have talked about how bad the e39 low beans are. I have a 2001 525i with the fisheye projector low beam lights which were aweful.
No changes in bulbs will fix this.
The problem is that the reflective coating on the reflector has deteriorated so the light no longer projects forward. It just glows in the headlights.
So solution is to replace the reflector.
Only problem here is finding one.
I was not able to find a e39 with the reflectors so after a bit of research I found that the same reflectors are in the x5 e53 and the VW Passat 2000-05.
Unfortunately I still couldn’t find an exact match st the wreckers but I did find an x5 with a similar reflectircznd lens that bolted straight in.
Of course that left the wiring difference a minor problem.
Again an easy fix is you use the wiring from the car you got the lights and attached a couple of flat connectors to the ends of the wire from the light harness. Then just remove the bulb from the e39 low beam harness and push the two connectors into where the bulb would have gone.

After I did this I have outstanding lights in the e39.

Biggest problem us getting the lights apart to remove the crap reflector. Again easy solution. Remove all the bulbs and rubbers from the lights and put the whole light into a barbecue at 170 for 5 minutes to soften the black rubberised glue holding it all together.

Then just pull it apart. Same putting it back together. Live it up and press it together as much as you can the. Back into ghe barbecue for 5 minutes. Remove and push it together properly.

I hope this helps with the frustration we have all had trying to get decent lights in the e39

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Throw some ribs on the barbie!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Anytime a headlights thread is created I like to share my experience with simple regular DEPO headlights, the cheapest of them all, just cost me like 120 $ USD equivalent, and I am very happy with them if anyone out there needs new simple non fisheye headlights. They were quick to install and cheap. Installed myself. I can reccomend.

I should add that they come with many numbers written in relief on the headlights so they will not look aesthetically 100% exactly like BMW originals, but I just don't even notice it at all in any way. Otherwise they have been perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts