BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes it can be. I'm considering doing this myself but I've heard it only shortens the life of the MAF.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Yes it can be. I'm considering doing this myself but I've heard it only shortens the life of the MAF.
Where did you hear that? I've been using CRC every year, since my original MAF died, that was back in ~2006, I now have 134K on the car and probably 70K on this MAF.
Spray it and then let it dry before you put it back in the car.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Nah, that is not what people say. What they say is that cleaning it doesn't seem to extend the life very much. It can be done, but when it is going it will still go even if you clean it. Most threads on cleaning MAF involve people with MAFs that are going already, so it just seems like cleaning it is causing it since their MAFs die like 10K later

You can also easily break the MAF by improperly cleaning it.

Pure speculation, but I would imagine regular cleaning might extend more than just cleaning when you start noticing problems. At that point, cleaning may improve functionality but there is likely something else up.

I plan to clean mine this week for the first time. So far no problems, just being preventative. I noticed a big difference from cleaning my ICV (pre-vanos only) but I don't even know if I should expect to tell any difference.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up, I'll pick some up this week and clean it. Crossed fingers for power gain lol

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
The Bentley manual has a decent section on testing the MAF if it's suspected.

In addition, these are in the bestlinks ...

- DIY for replacing (1) (2) (3) & cleaning your mass air flow (MAF) sensor (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) and how 'not' to clean your MAF (1) & buying a replacement MAF cheaper than the BMW MAF (RangeRover MAF) (VW MAF) (Hyundai MAF) & MAF resistance testing (1)

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
what are the symptoms of maf failure?
According to my Bentley manual (page 130-9):

A faulty MAF sensor can produce the following problems:
- Difficult to restart when engine is hot
- Engine starts then stalls
- Engine starts and runs only with accelerator pedal depressed,
etc.

·
BMW ****ie
1,860 Posts
Can MAF be cleaned with CRC MAF sensor cleaner? If so, is it recommended at all?
I cleaned mine a month ago or so and do recommend it.

Blubee, does the Idle Control Valve (ICV) also play a role in the symptoms the OP has described? If so may consider cleaning it as well. The MAF is much simpler to get to so I'd start there.

My previous post:

Clean Your MAF - Its so simple even I did it today!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574842&highlight=

·
Registered
649 Posts
I cleaned mine a month ago or so and do recommend it.

Blubee, does the Idle Control Valve (ICV) also play a role in the symptoms the OP has described? If so may consider cleaning it as well. The MAF is much simpler to get to so I'd start there.

My previous post:

Clean Your MAF - Its so simple even I did it today!
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574842&highlight=

OP doesn't have an ICV as he has a VANOS E39 (99-03)
The ICV is only on Pre-Vanos E39s, (97-98)

I cleaned my ICV and noticed improved throttle response in low gears, but that was it. My rough idle remained unchanged. The throttle response was quite noticeable though, I could easily have picked my car out before/after in a blind drive test. I didn't mean to divert this thread into an ICV discussion, though. I just wondered what benefit I might notice from cleaning the MAF.

Thanks for the info, bluebee. I hope cleaning the MAF helps my starting problem and my exhaust which smells especially strong (running rich?), we'll see.

·
Registered
53 Posts
About a month ago I had the very same issue and I found a rip in my flexable boot for my cold air intake I sealed it up and everything was fine until yesterday and it started again I ve looked over the boot again and see no other leaks. It is weired that Im having the same issue.

·
BMW ****ie
1,860 Posts
NO idle control valve on Vanos E39s? I just looked up the PN for one at my work and for my 2001 3.0 lists a 13 41 1 744 713 as the part number for it...
+1

I show 13411744713 on RealOEM for my car as well which is an 02 530i. I'm pretty sure I have vanos as well (I'll check). My car appears to have double vanos as well as an ICV.

·
Premium Member
8,008 Posts
I am planning on replacing MAF.
Search Ebay with the Bosch part number. There is a Bosch dealer that sells new, original Bosch MAFs at great prices...better than anywhere online. I got mine there. Watch out though, there are lots of sellers with no name or generics for sale. The guy with the original Bosch ones is very upfront in his listings what you are getting.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.