Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1997 528i it has 99500 miles on it. Every winter sine I have owned it, something seems to go wrong with it. This year after a huge snow fall, then next day it was -14F outside. I let the car warm up before I drove it the 10 min. to work. Before I went to work I decided to get gas first. As I was driving to the gas station I checked my dash to make sure my gauges were fine, when I noticed one of my gauges was nearing towards red, notifying me my engine was over-heating, I immediately pulled over and turned off my car, I popped open my hood and reluctantly got out of my car to check if I could see smoke. Nothing. I let the gauge go back to normal, which is at 12 o' clock, before I turned on my car. On my way back to work, my gauge started to creep back to the red zone a few times, and as before I repeated the same procedure. I called in to work to find out we weren't even going to open and headed home. The last time it started to "overheat" the gauge for some reason, without turning off my car, started to creep its way back to normal on its own, and then went back to red.

I've done quite a bit of research on what may be causing the problem. I checked the fan clutch and it doesn't turn on at all. I checked the coolant level, it seems to need a little bit of topping off.I also think I may need to change the thermostat.

Before the overheating problem, I've also recently noticed during the winter when I have my heat on, during idle or if I'm going less than 20 mph I have no heat blowing, just cold air. I'm thinking these two things may be related.

Please help.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sounds like you've got air in the system, probably due to an active coolant leak somewhere. I'm with cn90, you need to do the overhaul before you ruin the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts