BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Glutton for punishment
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been here a few months and have been wrenching away on my stupid car for those months with tons of help from this board.

It just occurred to me that I still have a few issues I want to address and maybe some less important projects in the future and I know that there are several guys driving around with all sorts of issues.

My issues:
cooling system is wonky
need a 4 wheel alignment
need to get a handle on all the rattles and squeaks
need to fix right rear window regulator
need to figure out wtf is up with the fog lights (not working)
need to find a belly pan for the car- mine is missing
need to find out why the disable mode for the passenger side mirror/reverse doesn't work
need to replace a few pulleys (one is squealing)- I have some on order.

Project:
Gut the DSP system and build something that is reasonable.

So, I was curious. What issues are you dealing with, have plans to deal with? Projects?

·
Nothing to read here...
2,702 Posts
Sigh might as well name it the "why not just roll it off the cliff" thread. Lol

>Clutch
Have it on the porch just don't have the time
>Rear control arm ball joints
Click Click Click Click
>Shock absorbers
Primarily the front pass side but might as well change them all
>Rear and maybe front sway bar links
Also on my porch but no time and I'm lazy
>Guibo or engine/tranny mounts
There's a barely noticeable clunk but nothing that should worry me
>Oil filter housing
At least my alternator is nice and lubed up
>Cracked CCV hose
Have a very loud whine on cold starts
>leaky top rad nipple
Somethings up here. The rad is pushing on the nipple so that may have caused the leak
>turn stalk obc button won't work
I honestly don't need it.
>abs trifecta
Would be nice to not have yellow lights on the dash and dsc during winter. I though I fixed it with a new pass sensor but it came back after a while
>radio mid pixels
Don't really need it But would like to know who's singing at times
>drivers seat power switch cover is broken
>Canholders
No comment
>Car detail and head light resto.
It's really gross
>Head light adjusters
Again. No comment.

Projects? Twin turbo twin supercharged 500 shot Ferrari v12 FWD e39. Lol I wanna hopefully get my 525 turbod next year by fall. A mild setup with the stock block up to 400hp max. No fancy cosmetic work or fancy coilovers. Just a regular 525 with a turbo. I would like to place all the associated guages and monitor's within the dash to keep the stock look as clean as possible. But time will tell.

Also I carry my fishing rods on the roof so the rear thru hole is never used so I thought of maybe a custom fridge? Also an adequate rear armrest is on the list but not important.

·
One wheel roaster
1,579 Posts
Sigh might as well name it the "why not just roll it off the cliff" thread. Lol
Haha lol I was laughing for like five minutes

·
Glutton for punishment
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Damn dude! I thought I was bogged down with issues! (I had most of the ones you cite but, kept the car parked until I fixed them) Nothing worse than breaking down on the side of the road. Been there, done that.

It's all do-able. Gotta jump in there man and tackle one piece at a time.

I did consider the "set it on fire and roll it down a hill" option for my car too. You're not alone!!

So , who else is in the same boat with us??? Come on guys, don't be shy. Post up.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,702 Posts
Yea. My new place has no garage and the tenants don't want to share the paved parking area. Sucks but his daughter is pretty so I can deal with it.

Also to add.

Srs light, fan shroud, expansion tank it's all scratched. And to add to the projects list a better heat shield for the abs module and. Add some ducting to use the wasted area on the passenger side bumper. It WILL also help with the turbo build. Then I'll just use drivers side to simply drive cold air into the bay

And to add once suspension is done I'll need a wheel alignment and I would like 4 new tires. Currently on toyos in the rear and continental is the front. Plenty of tread but would like to run same treads all around or at least something close.

·
(oOO\(|||) (|||)/OOo)
3,261 Posts
Hmm, short list?

Upgrades/maintenance:
- DISA valve kit from GAS (actually just ordered)
- Anything that breaks
- Complete cooling system and front accessory drive overhaul
- Headlight lens and projector replacement (seriously, how did they ever sell a car with such poor nighttime illumination?)
- Manual swap (single mass flywheel, non-SA clutch, UUC Evo3 short shift, DSSR)
- Front camber plates, rear ball joints, rear camber/toe kit, rear control arms
- Rear LSD
- M-tech body upgrades all-around
- SuperSprint stainless headers, ceramic coated w/ CARB legal catalytic converters from Magnaflow, Dinan exhaust rear section
- StopTech big-brake kit (front and rear, slotted rotors, aggressive street pads)
- Interior upgrades (headliner, ditch wood trim, etc)

Problems?
- Busted torque converter (hence manual swap)
- Paint needs a wet sand (where refinished) and polish (where not), as well as some touch-ups up front
- Small spot of rust under trunk latch
- Sqeaky fold-down rear seats
- Driver's seat bolstering (left thigh, left lower back) is collapsing
- All the leather is rock hard
- Steering wheel shows significant wear
- MID is missing two lines (perfectly tolerable)
- Rear deck is faded beyond purple - it's getting pink now
- Interior motion sensor bracket failure (thanks, cheap plastic)
- Vanos seals

This is my car; it's going to be years before I get to all of it. Essentially, I want Seabiscuit to be the best I-6 e39 possible, while still remaining a daily-driven car. Conservatively, I estimate about $30,000 in parts alone, plus labor and maintenance, will be poured into the old girl before I'm even done with what I want to do.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Overall I am happy with TAB but the "projects" for the next few years:
  1. Learn and understand mechanicals for basic DIY
    Call me crazy but little wrenching experience so oil changes, vacuum lines, etc. so this includes all the "basic tools" although I have the hobbybays that I can use for next to nothing.
  2. Transmission fluid and filter change
    Want to keep the trans going but need a little "confidence" first
  3. Suspension overhaul: front & rear
    This has been done by individual failing parts/bushings R&R, so I figure a total overhaul would be nice.
  4. Refinish wheels
    Stupid peeling clear coat
  5. Twisted seat fix
    Vertical adjuster has the "twist" but as wifey and I use the same height positions I figure I have about 12 years before my daughter starts learning to drive.
  6. Center console wood trim replacement
    The wood trim next to gear selector is cracked. Doesn't really bother me and most people either don't notice or care.
  7. Touch up paint
    Couple of spots are suboptimal and I am sure that the hood chips will be back over time.
  8. Eurodash conversion
    I like the look and feel of this but seems like an expensive PITA.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I just did a bunch of stuff this week and hope to wrap it up soon. I lowered it, put in all new speakers, a replacement driveshaft/guibo, m60 intake manifold, and am half way through new timing chains/vanos seals, and cooling system.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I recently did a Vanos rebuild, suspension refresh, power steering hoses and reservoir, plugs, valve cover gasket, brakes, water pump and full cooling system and a few other odds and ends. I do have a leaking oil filter housing gasket, but noticed the leak a few hundred miles after an oil change so I've been trying to hold off until the next oil service, but might break down and do it before.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm constantly worrying about when the transmission is going to die. Everything else is no big deal.
The transmissions on these cars last longer than most people think. You only hear horror stories because that's when people post.

I bet if you started a poll as to how many miles people had on unserviced trans with zero issues you'd be shocked. I've owned 3 separate auto trans cars with just under 300k on them, all of them shifted smooth with zero slip.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My list:

• Oil Leak (really hoping its not the oil pan gasket)
  • Roof Respray (peeling clear coat...)
  • Spring Plans: Front suspension overhaul (tie rods, sway bar end links, control arms)
  • Little things (gas cap, seat trim, peeling C pillars)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
my list:

paint bumper and passenger door
install new b and c pillars
install new steering wheel m trim and cluster trim (i hate scratches)
I need a new driver seat
rear struts/mounts are a couple of years old everything else needs a refresh

·
Registered
287 Posts
I clocked over 270k miles on my previous 530, so I didn't hesitate to buy a second used one. Transmission has been acting funny, but the abs unit ended up being the culprit. Before the fix, I've been driving with a transmission that would reach 110c in rush hour traffic. Now everything is sorted out, but damage must've been done to some extent?

I had the infamous torque converter code, so I had it replaced last year. Tranny started jerking after 3-4 shift. I would get error 48 and 49(TQ slip and symptom gear check) in inpa, even after TQ replacement. Whenever code 48 and 49 pop up, they were coincided with can bus error. Errors show that they happened simultaneously, but output speeds were different. TQ operation depends on wheel speed sensors and abs module, so I tried disconnecting the abs module, and drove around for a few days. No more torque converter slip error and no more gear check error. ATF temp doesn't go as high as it used to, I;m guessing which confirms transmission is slipping less.

With the abs unit fixed, transmission doesn't overheat, doesn't jerk anymore and shifts firmly. I'm just worried previous overheating and slipping caused accelerated clutch/band wear and maybe even cooked the seals. My atf doesn't smell burnt, so I'm still being hopeful.

The transmissions on these cars last longer than most people think. You only hear horror stories because that's when people post.

I bet if you started a poll as to how many miles people had on unserviced trans with zero issues you'd be shocked. I've owned 3 separate auto trans cars with just under 300k on them, all of them shifted smooth with zero slip.

·
Glutton for punishment
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^ Easier to skip that auto trans hassle and buy a manual!! :D

Glad to see I;m not alone! I was starting to think I was being crazy, needing to repair/replace everything on this car.

So, with so many board members and only a handful of respondents- Is it safe to assume that everyone here with an E39 is trouble/issue free?

·
Glutton for punishment
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm, short list?

Upgrades/maintenance:
- DISA valve kit from GAS (actually just ordered)
- Anything that breaks
- Complete cooling system and front accessory drive overhaul
- Headlight lens and projector replacement (seriously, how did they ever sell a car with such poor nighttime illumination?)
- Manual swap (single mass flywheel, non-SA clutch, UUC Evo3 short shift, DSSR)
- Front camber plates, rear ball joints, rear camber/toe kit, rear control arms
- Rear LSD
- M-tech body upgrades all-around
- SuperSprint stainless headers, ceramic coated w/ CARB legal catalytic converters from Magnaflow, Dinan exhaust rear section
- StopTech big-brake kit (front and rear, slotted rotors, aggressive street pads)
- Interior upgrades (headliner, ditch wood trim, etc)

Problems?
- Busted torque converter (hence manual swap)
- Paint needs a wet sand (where refinished) and polish (where not), as well as some touch-ups up front
- Small spot of rust under trunk latch
- Sqeaky fold-down rear seats
- Driver's seat bolstering (left thigh, left lower back) is collapsing
- All the leather is rock hard
- Steering wheel shows significant wear
- MID is missing two lines (perfectly tolerable)
- Rear deck is faded beyond purple - it's getting pink now
- Interior motion sensor bracket failure (thanks, cheap plastic)
- Vanos seals

This is my car; it's going to be years before I get to all of it. Essentially, I want Seabiscuit to be the best I-6 e39 possible, while still remaining a daily-driven car. Conservatively, I estimate about $30,000 in parts alone, plus labor and maintenance, will be poured into the old girl before I'm even done with what I want to do.
Dude. $30k sounds a bit steep for all those items listed. Shop around before you buy. For that sort of money you could probably be into an M5 but THEN you might have to spend another $30k to fix it. LOL

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Replace remaining original heater hoses.
Replace rotten air pump high pressure hose
Replace both vacuum lines going into the cold air stream.
4 wheel alignment
Replace both rear window regulators
Replace head lights
Replace or sand down both back tail light lenses
Replace radiator/exp tank/thermostat
Total timing re-due/ ccv overhaul/Valley pan gasket
Change trans fluid/filter
replace thrust arm bushings
fix front passenger seat switches
Replace drivers seat plastic holding seat buttons
New spark plugs

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
^^ Easier to skip that auto trans hassle and buy a manual!! :D

Glad to see I;m not alone! I was starting to think I was being crazy, needing to repair/replace everything on this car.

So, with so many board members and only a handful of respondents- Is it safe to assume that everyone here with an E39 is trouble/issue free?
8 years ago I thought it was trouble free until I drove it, opened the hood and ran all the codes. Then this happened:

Tires 100,000
Battery 105,000
Alternator 110,000
BMW alarm 114,656
VGC, oil pan, ofgh, radiator 115,000
Ps hoses, lca, tie rods, sway links, disa, wp 120,000
Besian Vanos seals VGC 120,000
Fuel Filter 125,000
Fan clutch/blade, radiator, U/L hoses 125,000
Brake shield, Front brakes, R thrust arm HD bush 125,000
Motor and transmission mounts 126,000
Continental dws all season tires 127,000
Front strut mounts pads 128,000
Differential fluid 128,000
M5 cluster 130,000
Right Thrust arm hd bushing 140,000
Emergency brake rear rotors exhaust hanger weld 145,000
Belts pullies thermostat 145,000
Spark plugs 1, 2, 3 4 5 6 coil 2, 3 & 6 148,000
Front brakes and rotors 150,000
Brake fluid o2 sensors 150,000
Left thrust arm hd bushing lower right control arm/alignment 160,000
Rear Bilstein HD shocks mounts/pad 170,000
Windsheild and trim 170,000
HID H7 5000k ddmtuning 170,500
Front PS hose 171,000
Sunroof glass 172,000
Bmw Gas cap 172,500
Leak detection pump 173,000
Torque Converter/solenoid, ATF fluid/filter, flex disc rear sway links 175,000
Disa Valve kit upgrade 176,000
Rear Vapor barriers 177,000
Brake Booster, brake fluid 178,000
Front sway bar links 178,000
DVD Navi upgrade 178,000
Crankshaft position sensor 180,000
BMW Fan blade coil 5 180,000
CPS intake and exhaust, Fuel Pump 180,000
LED license plate bulbs 181,000
Tie Rods Alignment 182,000
Oil dipstick oring 183,000
Ofhg Rad U/L hoses hepu wp wahler themostat bmw aux fan sensor bmw exp tank belts nissens rad 183,500
Driver side strut mount aligned air filters 183,550
Passenger side strut mount rear window trim 183,650
Heater Valve 183,700
Remote key motherboard and battery fixed 183,800
front vapor barriers sealed 184,000
Rear Brakes 185,650
OFHG/ps aluminum pully 186,000
Front brakes 186,500
Aux water pump/ps hose 186,950
driver side bilstein hd 187,000
lower steering column assembly 187,300
Duralast Gold battery 187,400

·
Registered
548 Posts
My list:
Fix passenger break light, corroded connector due to not using vent tube on old battery
Replace back up light bulb
Replace coolant level sensor
Replace front brakes (almost gone, new ordered, waiting for parts)
Replace General Module 3 (all symptoms: rear windows, trunk, alarm etc not working)
Replace windshield weather strip (all gone, just metal part left)
Replace angel eyes lamps with housing (broken housing, lamps are gone)
Fix driver seat twist
Fix wipers (needs new inserts) (ordered, waiting)

I already did a bunch in the last week to make it run:
Replaced alternator
Replaced battery
Replaced/regressed tensioners
Replaced belts
Replaced Valve cover gasket
Replaced intake boot
Fixed leaking power steering hoses and changed ATF
Fixed cluster ribbon
Fixed (partially) radio ribbon
Fixed Rear View mirror holder

Car is running really nice now with few things to do left (I've got it from auction non running).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts