• Yes

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 23 57.5%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not really up on things. I know that the e39 had a really good reputation but was the e60 not particularly well received?

·
Under the lift arms
13,183 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, BMW stopped after the e39 m5

BMW started with the e30m and.stopped with the e39m. all these new models are just hipe

·
Registered
426 Posts
The F10 was a throwback to the days of the E39 with more technology. Because BMW purists wanted something to be delivered that the E60 couldn't do, the F10 did this sort of with more gadetry. Personally I'd buy the F10 simply because its like the E39 on steriods with a more modern look. However, I've learn that I can modernize my E39 with gadetry easily and not worry about the maintenance unlike a F10 which usually requires a dealer only fixture if something goes wrong.

To me this is the huge advantage of the E39. The F10 is more modern looking and I think a better looking car but for the price the E39 has better value and it's the Jordan of BMW 5 series. The F10 can be liken to Kobe Bryant, newer more modern but not necessarily better.

·
^^^Worst Username Ever!
1,381 Posts
Since I haven't been behind the wheel of an F10, I can't really compare ride similarities. Judging by the looks though, I would say yes (but just barely). Where before I used to feel the E60 was butt-ugly, I've now grown a timid liking of its uniqueness. Our E39 looks dated, but they are aging gracefully (at least the properly maintained ones).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
In terms of looks, yes absolutely. In terms of character and driving involvement, not necessarily.

I say not necessarily as opposed to a blatant 'no' because back in 1996 if you loved the E28 for its pure rawness and then compared that with the new E39 you'd likely say that they are worlds apart. The 5 is just moving with the times.

but go spend a few minutes in the F10 section and a good half of the posts are folks praising the luxury side of things than sporty driving (and the other half complaining about the steering) ;)

from a driving characteristic, the E60 and E39 are brothers but most definitely not in looks.

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
...BMW started with the e30m and.stopped with the e39m. all these new models are just hipe
Wrong. BMW started with this:

Edit:
Okay, I admit that was just a flimsy pretext to post a photo of a sweet but seldom-seen ride. The M-Division actually got started with this car:

A thumbnail history, from StraighSixblog:

Based on the 3.0 CS coupe production car, the CSLs were the first cars to be developed under the new BMW Motorsport-or M-subsidiary established in 1972, and the first to sport the newly designed official colors: red, blue and purple. One of the most successful production racers of all time, CSL's continued to win races into the late 1970's, even though production ended in 1975 to make way for the new 6 Series. This 3.5 CSL was one of a team of three cars campaigned by BMW of North America.​

·
Float On
463 Posts
I've never seen the 507 before but I would love to own one. I just need to find about one jillion dollars....

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
The F10 is flat out impressive. I would like to see a picture of all M5's historically. Now that would be schweet. I'm with PooF that the E60 has grown on me quite a bit lately, but only the 550i sport and M5 models. The standard models do nothing for me at all. I've seen some F10's recently that are flat out sexy! Too much $$$$ for my blood though.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know about successor, but to my mind the E39 is the last real 5er, and at least where I live the end of an age for BMW.

CO2 focused emissions regulations and emissions taxes have all but killed petrol 5ers in Europe (almost none were sold in this country last year) and the vast majority are 4 cylinder diesels namely the 520d. An uninspiring, agricultural engine that does everything just well enough.

I also believe that the BMW's modern cars such as the E60 are increasingly unmaintainable for enthusiasts due to the all of the electronics and black box systems. The E39 is borderline as it is.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Cars have gone over the edge. They have way too much extra stuff on them for their function of transportation. Don't get me wrong here, they don't need to be just a box, w/seats and motor but they have gone too far. Those in the upper income brackets has BMW and others competeing for that money with all kinds of added power and gadgets.

·
Registered
75 Posts
F10's are definitly a lot nicer than the previous 5 series but I still think the e39 out-does the F10 in pure driving pleasure.
The e60 is my least favorite 5 series ever. I think it's ugly and sloppy.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I believe that the E39 was the peak for 5s. Not because I own one, but looking at several key factors (driving dynamics, styling, position among competition, etc), especially when compared to other cars of the same period.

Afterwards, they became awkwardly styled, unnecessarily complicated, and "detached" from the feeling of driving a BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
I believe that the E39 was the peak for 5s. Not because I own one, but looking at several key factors (driving dynamics, styling, position among competition, etc), especially when compared to other cars of the same period.

Afterwards, they became awkwardly styled, unnecessarily complicated, and "detached" from the feeling of driving a BMW.

As time goes by, the newer models will grow further away as our e39 age and lose it.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
You guys are livin' in the past and holding on to your antiquated dreams. I'm sure owners of this car were saying the exact same things about how the new cars just aren't the same.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts