BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first BMW, and I am torn between an e39 528i wagon and an e46 325i wagon. Which do you have? What do you like dislike about it? I haul around tons of music gear, and so the wagon is a must for me. Both will require maintenance, but would one be more reliable then the other? Leaning toward the e39 right now. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
The 528 wagon is bigger, probably would suit your needs better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
e39 wagon has more space and imo it looks alot better than the e46 wagon

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Hi,

Only you know how much stuff you actually and frequently move around. If you can get away with the size of the E46 Touring load space, then consider one. If you think you need more space, consider the E39 Touring. As for reliability, that all depends on the car you get and how much work and preventative maintenance you do on it, but overall, both are reliable cars.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Why compare the slightly older 528iT to the newer 325iT? The 3 & 5 series were both produced with multiple wagon selections...so consider all of the Touring models for both...and determine which size fits your need as well as options, build quality, and overall condition of the car. An older well cared for model would be a better choice over a newer model that's been beat down and not maintained.

The e39 Tourings (528iT/525iT/540iT) are not only larger...but add a bit more creature comforts in regards to fit & finish. The e46 Tourings (323iT/325iT/325ixT) may offer a bit more technology if looking at the later model's since they came about when Bluetooth & new emerging audio offerings came about. And you also have the AWD "ix"version. If mounted with dedicated snow tires during winter months ...the 325ixT would be great if you need to get around in snow country where snow/ice/sleet/rain & cold temperatures can make driving to get to a gig a harrowing experience.

Below is my 540iT stuffed with a lawnmower & grass catcher, 6ft step ladder, saw horses, bag of power tools, gas can, various rakes & hedge clippers (I was off to do some work at rental property):

{You can get an idea of cargo carrying capacity rear seat up or down in pic below}

{Depending on how much equipment you need to haul...if packed well, you could possibly have room for a 3rd passenger (if you can keep the right rear seat up & not use the parcel net) or a 4th passenger if all can fit with both rear seat backs up}

·
plays well with others...
301 Posts
you need to drive them both....and go test drive Toyota Venza while you are at it.
I found the E46 to be too small, I could never see out the back window and the side mirrors were useless. I do not believe the wagon version will ever hold its value as well as an E39.
purchased my first e39 touring when dealers were holding them for premium clientele and the same dealer lots were full of unsold e46 tourings.
they would get one e39 and ten or more e46s. two dealers even gave me an E46 to drive for a month. the discounts on E46s offered at the time were insane.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Personally I think the E46 wagon looks much better than the E39. More a sport wagon look than an old man station wagon like the E39.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Personally I think the E46 wagon looks much better than the E39. More a sport wagon look than an old man station wagon like the E39.
The e46 Touring may be "cute"...but the e39 Touring can be a "wolf in sheeps clothing" if you have the M62TU tucked under the hood. It can not only "haul"...but "haul a$$", too...and when not looking in the rearview mirror...you'd never realize that you're driving a wagon...the e39 Touring is a solid ride. :D

And if modified properly...it can look more than a mommy hauler or old man's wagon (at least in many of us e39 Touring owners). ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is just something special

about the looks of the e39 wagon ,simple , clean lines, holds a lot if you pack well .
The E39 length and width is more useful space all around , I had a 2010 3 series touring . Nice wagon but you made a lot of compromises in what fit in the cargo area . Good luck on your decision what ever it may be .

·
Registered
363 Posts
Years ago when I was debating whether to buy the Subaru WRX wagon, the other car that I was considering was an E46 wagon. I found that the E46 and the Impreza WRX to be exactly the same size inside and outside. I was practically a professional kite flyer so I hauled a lot of gear up and down the northeast. A weekend tour would include 2 ski bags full of kites and 2 duffle bags full of kites, lines lines lines, a land sailing buggy and personal gear.

I chose the scobbie, and I was always impressive how much stuff I can throw into it. It is sadly gone. On a whim and in a pinch I bought a E39. This thing goes and eats like a rhinoceros. It is more spacious than the small wagons. It loads easier, i love the separate glass and hatch.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Another plus for the e39 or e46 wagon when utilitarian use of the vehicle is a must due to sport activities or profession or hobbies that requires that you have to pack/carry equipment. The Tourings have a lower center of gravity...so lifting & loading/unloading the heavier items into the cargo area is a lot easier versus lifting/loading those items into a regular size SUV that sits higher off the ground.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Im waiting for the right e39 wagon to fall in my hands.

·
Registered
177 Posts
One thing to consider is the optional "Extendable Load Floor". Since your main requirement is hauling stuff, being able to pull the floor out and slide it back in is very useful with awkward or heavy items. One drawback is that you lose about 2" of cargo height.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
If space is what you're looking for, the E39 touring has LOADS of cargo space. I can't tell you how many things I've hauled in that car. Easily the all-around best car we've ever had.
Extendable load floor was only available thru 1999. They can be found in yards. I have one in my 99 540iT. It is a nice option
I have never seen one with that option in person. I couldn't imagine it being very cheap used!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts