BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Just went through a whole lot of grief trying to find a leak into the passenger compartment of my 03 525I. After heavy rain showers I would find up to 1/2 inch of water on and in the passenger side carpet behind the front passenger seat. After removing all associated interior panels to include the door panel, I had a friend hose down the car one area at a time while I was inside with an inspection mirror and a flashlight. Low and behold water/rain hitting the rear passenger windom slid right down into the door, slid down the plastic foam door liner, through a void in the butyl rubber seal between this door liner and the actual door and fell directly onto the rear passenger floor wall. Further evidence was wet and mold growing inside the door liner panel I removed earlier. The foot well light installed in the bottom of the door liner was the conduit allowint the water into the car. The FIX, I took some plummers putty and suspended a plastic (3mil garbage can liner cut to fit) inside the door to force any water drips to fall directly to the bottom of the door where there is a drain. I also cleaned the butyl rubber seal with lighter fluid till it was sticky and tacky again and reinstalled the plastic foam door liner properly. I believe an earlier warranty repair to the window regulator was the cause. The tech's pulling the door plastic foam from the door and not reinstalling it properly was what caused the leak.
Hope this may be of help. Collin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Colin, heres what you should do. First get a new vapor barrier from the dealer. Not too expensive. Get two sticks of butyl tape. Clean the old butyl tape off the door. Roll the new butyl around where the vapor barrier will sit. I usually make a mark with a sharpie marker. Get a heat gun and heat the butyl until it softens up, then install the vapor barrier and roll it with a socket or a roller. Sealing the bottom is the key. The water enters there and fills the interior. For repeat customers we use windshield glue instead of butyl to seal the barrier. Good luck. Also check under the carpet for water. Pull it up and let it dry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts