Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help on this. I got the BMW replacement finisher part for the upper hood vent that holds the wiper spray nozzles. Kink below.

When I got it, the one part had 2 layers that separated. Has anyone else replaced this?

Can you tell me if it is supposed to be two parts? I'm thinking it is, but now I'm thinking it may have "un-fused" in shipping.

I did not put it in so I can't answer my own question.

I think real OEM is wrong on the 7 clips. I say this because there is no where to put those clips, and they are the same clips and count for the windshield cowl. I could be wrong too, but I see no discrete place for those to go, much less if they fit.

If you know, or could happen to take a look at yours to see if something is holding them together I will be forever grateful.

If you take a picture of the top side and bottom side so I can see if anything is missing, I'll buy you Starbucks.

Rick

Number 4 on Real OEM part number 51137075324

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=ET37-USA-10-2004-E46-BMW-325i&diagId=51_3267

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Two online parts companies don't know, nor does the BMW dealer.

Real OEM has it wrong. It says same for windshield cowl.

Anyone here want to brave a shot at it?

Not looking forward to stalking anyone in a parking lot!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edited OP and added a bribe. Hopefully someone can help. I've searched parking lots, gotten to the end of pics on the web in both Google and Bing. Trying to avoid the hassle of sending back only to find out I did not need to but it may be quicker.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wish I could be more help. I have an 01 prefacelift.
Is it the washer parts that are loose or the grill itself?
The grill's tabs snap under the hood, you will have to press down with a fair amount of force until the tab catches. Then the washer hoses and mechanism snaps onto the grill from underneath, at least on a prefacelift.
Is the grill new? Maybe you have a prefacelift grill for a facelift hood? Possible the shop damaged the tabs? It would be easy to do if they didn't line it up correctly when installing. If the hood was repainted and the thickness of the paint and clear coat has changed, it may need a little coaxing to get over the lip of the hood.

Maybe this will shed some light. It shows the spray nozzle system. Looks very similiar to the prefacelift.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...-2004-E46-BMW-325i&diagId=61_1085#61667056732

·
Keeping it surreal
43,083 Posts
Suggestion:

Go to your local scrapyard, and have a look at whatever E46s they may have, maybe you`ll find the parts you need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks DeadF15h. The part is new, and the bottom layer snaps in just fine to the hood. The jets snap in prefect and tight. It's the whole upper layer that is loose. If it went for the hose and wires it would just fly off the car. The top layer has 18 plastic alignment pins that extrude from the bottom and go in the holes on the bottom layer. The jets I put back on went in from the top. The part that sinks below the part des not even touch the bottom layer. I'll check the preface lift part and compare that. That's a good idea. And I may even take it out and try to fit them from the bottom but I looked at that and nothing catches. I'm starting to think the two layer were supposed to be fused together and came apart when it was shipped. I appreciate it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Fast Bob,
thanks but I already called two of the closest scrap yards and no e46's.

·
Retired USAF MSgt
546 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In reading through the posts one question came up for me, is the replacement grill OEM or an aftermarket part? Curious...
Anyway check out the link and looking at the images, is this what you have? I used your part number in your 1st post.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/upper-hood-vent/51137075324/
Sometimes images help...
Thanks for taking the time. I saw those pics too. My part is OEM. I have a replacement one arriving today, the online retailer had it shipped to them first and confirmed it is 1 part 2-pieces. So it appears I'm getting the same thing with no solution. I have called the dealer parts department, they don't know, I've called almost every day to see if they have an 05 325i on the lot and that's not working. Found an exact car in a parking lot and gave the grill a tug, it's on there secure, I'm stumped. Tried looking at photos of the underside from the web, don't see any clips that secure the two layers together, nothing appears to be broken on either layer or the washer nozzle.

I have done plenty of DIY on the car, and I'm sure this is so simple and obvious there are many people getting a chuckle out of it. Seriously, this is an change out that is 1 step above taking a gas cap on and off. And I'm consumed with it. Will probably use a cable tie to secure it till I can stalk someone in a parking lot. Lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump. Another picture.

I found the same year BMW in a parking lot and the top layer of the upper hood vent grill on their 05 325i was solidly secured to the bottom layer. Anyone have a solid answer?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPPer hood vent

I'm having the same problem I ordered an upper hood vent from ecs tuning and it's two pieces anyone figure out how to secure them together did you just use apoxy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a push nut of sorts. I have not gone to dealer yet I have a temp pull tie fix on one now. If you take it to dealer and tell them you need the parts they should be able to figure it out. Just make sure they don't give you the windshield clips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts