BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellow bimmer lovers. I have a problem ive been dreading for the last couple weeks. Ive searched ebay, kijiji, google, forums and cant find the answers to my questions. I thought id throw it out there and maybee someone on here has had the same problem and might be able to give me an inexpensive solution or knoledgable advise.
Like the topic says, i own a E46 325xi. My ball joints are gone on both control arms in the front (outer) and i know its my fault cause last season when i changed my cv boots, i used an air hammer with a fork to seperate the joint from the spindle and i messed up the boot on the joint. When i closely examined the ball joint, it looks like i can press it out with a press and possibly press a new one back in. I cant find ball joints seperately for the xi, everyone who has them for sale are selling them complete with the control arm. I have found ball joints that look like mine, but when i ask seller a question he recommends i change the whole control arm. Theres nothing wrong with my control arms, its not cracked or bent so i dont see the need to spend an extra 500bux to get complete set. Does anyone know where i can get oem balljoints seperately for my application? I do have tools and equipment ready to use to press it out and in professionally. Has anybody attempted this and succeeded?
All your help is greatly appreciated.

this is the latest responce from an ebay question from one of the sellers.

"IT DEPENDS ON WHICH ARMS YOU HAVE. SOME CAN BE PRESSED RIGHT IN, SOME HAVE TO BE BORED TO FIT. IF YOU HAVE ORIGINAL ARMS-NEVER REPLACED NOW IS THE TIME TO CHANGE THE COMPLETE ARMS. THANKS, ALLBMWPARTS"

heres the link to a set of joints im watching..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...00307314726&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

·
The Boss of Nobody
3,695 Posts
Didn't see this until now. On the Xi's unfortunately the ball joint/control arm are a single assembly. The long and short of this is that if you ball joints are done, it means new control arms as well. OEM is your only option as far as I've ever seen, which can be purchased from multiple forum sponsors. This is why Xi owners are paranoid about their CV boots.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your help. I think im gonna order a complete set with bushings included. theres some pretty good deals online.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts