BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
i was all ready to do an oil change last weekend. car up on ramps, torque wrench, everything. and then i find that the material i had printed off the web doesnt look anything like the underbody off my car. nothing comes even close to the oil drain plug. so i have a couple of images of what "I" think is the oil drain plug for the 325 Xi. Can anybody confirm this is it? is there anyone in germantown maryland with a similar car who has done oil changes and can show me the location of the drain plug? I am willing to drive over to your place to check it out. send me an e-mail at srinivasan.deepakatgmail.com if you can do this favor.
tired and frustrated
bimmerlvr

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bimmerlvr. That is not the oil drain plug from what I'm
seeing in the picture. Your oil pan and drain plug may
be hidden by the plastic shield cover underneith your
engine. On my 2000 328i, the sheild does not cover the
oil pan . I hope this helps.

·
10,856 Posts
That's the drain plug. It's hard to put the plug on the side when you've got a driveshaft running through it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pump it Out

bimmerlvr said:
hi guys,
i was all ready to do an oil change last weekend. car up on ramps, torque wrench, everything. and then i find that the material i had printed off the web doesnt look anything like the underbody off my car. nothing comes even close to the oil drain plug. so i have a couple of images of what "I" think is the oil drain plug for the 325 Xi. Can anybody confirm this is it? is there anyone in germantown maryland with a similar car who has done oil changes and can show me the location of the drain plug? I am willing to drive over to your place to check it out. send me an e-mail at srinivasan.deepakatgmail.com if you can do this favor.
tired and frustrated
bimmerlvr
Recommend using a MityVac pump. They're cheap (@$60), easy, no ramps, no plug to find and strip, no E46 limbo as you crawl under your ride and get grunged. Pump it out, pump it backinto containers and done. It gets the same amount of oil as the drain. This is sounding TFH. Plenty of info w/SEARCH. :dunno:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
That's the drain plug. It's hard to put the plug on the side when you've got a driveshaft running through it.
Yes, that's the drain plug but it's not the oil pan drain plug. It's the transfer case drain plug. You need to remove the splash shield in front of the transfer case to see the oil pan drain plug. It's on the passenger side of the oil pan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it definitely looks different. a closer examination reveals that the "i" does not have this oil (transfer case) plug in the center at all. under my "Xi" there seems to be one large plastic cover that does not fully come down even after removing the screws. also looking inside there (first of all is hard) and secondly does not "seem" to show anything close to a drain plug. i was wondering whether the addition of the all wheel drive changed a lot of the routing underbody?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The transfer case is to direct power to the front wheels. RWD cars therefore don't have one.

The plastic shield does come off. You may have missed some screws. The configuration of the shields differ for MY and engines but they all come off. Mine doesn't have the access panel shown in the DIY link.

The drain plug is on the side of oil pan so you may not see it unless you are looking from the passenger side of the vehicle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone for the feedback. this sunday successfully performed the oil change. basically the only difference in the E46 325Xi is that the plastic plate that covers the oild rain plug comes fully off. its rather large and has 5 screws to atach it. finally after much tinkering i figured there was no way to perform the oil change with it on (even if it were to be raised completely off the floor). then finding the oil drain plug was easy and everything went great. the only thing is my torque wrench is undecipherable. i have no way of telling how to set it to 18 lb/ft torque. so i just tightened it by hand.
comments :
1. for those who are waiting for the recommended oil service - i would do the oil change at 7500 miles. the oil was very thick and had globs in it. I have waited till 9500 miles (basically because i have been spending a couple of months getting ready and spending a few hours under the car.
2. the engine (to my way of thinking) is running a lot better now. the oil filter appeared to have a lot of fine particulate matter on it. everything feels a lot better.

thanks again to all. next is the air filter!
/bimmerlvr

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have a picture of the drain plug? I still can't find mine even after I took off the plastic shield. I have a 2001 325xi also

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm currently looking for the drain plug on my '04 325XI- does anyone have a picture.. I've been searching this forum for a while.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank everyone that posts in these forums. I have owned my 1st 2001 Bmw 325xi ever and I'm pretty handy but today the forums helped me change both camshaft position sensors and change the oil and figure out I need to reboot the axles before winter sets in.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,282 Posts
Thank everyone that posts in these forums. I have owned my 1st 2001 Bmw 325xi ever and I'm pretty handy but today the forums helped me change both camshaft position sensors and change the oil and figure out I need to reboot the axles before winter sets in.
Congrats on completing your own DIYs ! You get the satisfaction of saving a lot of money, as well as knowing that the job was done correctly :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts