BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's. I started my car this morning and the check engine light came and caused the car to sputter and run like crap. I shut the car off and restarted it and it seems to be running ok. it's happened to me before, eventually the light went out and im assuming it will this time eventually (been 190 miles). I'm thinking O2 sensors or bad cat's. The car has 130k on it and has been well maintained from what i can tell... Also every so often my yellow oil light comes on even though there's oil at the top notch. Any insight would be helpfull

·
Registered
91 Posts
It could be a vacuum leak. I had the same symptoms in my 330 of sputtering and restarting it and running fine. Get the code checked to see what it is. As for the oil light, you might have a bad oil level sensor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i hope its a vacuum leak, thats alot cheaper to fix the o2 sensors or cats providing i can find it. but ill definitely get the code run. thanks for the info

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
Go have your codes read and post them. Without the codes we will all be guessing which 1 of 1000 things is causing it.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
Yea thats step number 2. just figured id ask first, to see if its a common problem
Unfortunately there are a lot of "common problems" on these cars. But with the codes this group will have it narrowed down in no time. :thumbup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The codes are pp-313, which is a low fuel misfire.
And po-0304 which they said is a #4 cylinder misfire. They reset the code and its running great now. I'll just have to wait n see if it happens again

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
The codes are pp-313, which is a low fuel misfire.
And po-0304 which they said is a #4 cylinder misfire. They reset the code and its running great now. I'll just have to wait n see if it happens again

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
I'd wager your #4 cylinder has a bad coil or a bad plug. Best way to test is move the #4 coil to another cylinder and see if the code follows.

·
Liebe mein bimmer!
131 Posts
smolck said:
I'd wager your #4 cylinder has a bad coil or a bad plug. Best way to test is move the #4 coil to another cylinder and see if the code follows.
If it is a bad plug, don't go with E3's as a replacement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It look's to be in good condition from what i can tell. Also if it were cracked i think the motor would be running ruff all the time and not just sporadically. The code's were reset over 60 miles ago and still no check engine light... huh

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,977 Posts
It look's to be in good condition from what i can tell. Also if it were cracked i think the motor would be running ruff all the time and not just sporadically. The code's were reset over 60 miles ago and still no check engine light... huh
Could have been an intermittent issue, a sporadic misfire, or a small issue that will likely get worse as time goes on. Time will tell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i did some digging and wala!

There was a recall for failure-prone Bremi ignition coils. Symptoms include multiple yet intermittent "cylinder misfire" OBD-II codes, among with other difficult to diagnose problems. A dealer can tell you if this TSB/recall has been performed in which all six Bremi coils were replaced. The following build date & VIN ranges were affected by this recall:
E46 with M54/M56 from 09/02 up to 12/04 production date.

·
Registered
631 Posts
So i did some digging and wala!

There was a recall for failure-prone Bremi ignition coils. Symptoms include multiple yet intermittent "cylinder misfire" OBD-II codes, among with other difficult to diagnose problems. A dealer can tell you if this TSB/recall has been performed in which all six Bremi coils were replaced. The following build date & VIN ranges were affected by this recall:
E46 with M54/M56 from 09/02 up to 12/04 production date.
That is true, I has letter from bmw canada and dealership changed for free even I has no codes or symptoms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts