BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm replacing the evaperator on my 1999 E46 323i.

On the ac line from the compressor to the bulkhead a small plastic round thing broke and fell out of the dual line coupling. This is not the o-ring but something loose and harder.

Since I dont want to buy a circa $300 AC line, does anybody know if these are available seperately?

I tried realoem but I cannot see it. I hope it is a standard AC part that tech can supply.

Cheers.

·
GO FLYERS!!!
319 Posts
I have not done anything to the A/C system on my BMW yet, but based on your description it sounds like that end of the line has a quick disconnect and you broke off the plastic collar that would be depressed into the coupling to compress the locking clips and release the line. The coupling I am thinking of is similar to the power steering and transmission lines and requires a special tool to compress the collar inside the coupling. I had one crumble on a power steering line and had to use my dremmel to carefully cut off the old hose fitting to get it removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plastic end doesn't seem to catch in the hole - looks like it was designed to keep both parts concentric when tightening without aluminium on aluminium contact - perhaps to avoid scratching the hole.

In any case if I can't find one I may be able to turn one out of a piece of nylon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there. I tonight tried to compress the plastic flange like contraption into the power steering hose fitting to disconnect. It was one tough bugger to get it to compress. Would turn 360° but could not get it to back out. Then the plactic flange broke off due to force and bad technique. According to your post. I may have to take a "drummel" like device and work my cut across the fitting. Did you do a 1/4 section cut or one side and rotate it 180°and start the sectioning? Would I have to remove any of the radiator components on my 2004 325i? Its the top connection coming from the reservoir.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.