BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the forums and I come by way of buying a 2002 325xit a few months ago. The car came with the factory halogens but otherwise I couldn't pass it up. So I have purchased and installed used OEM (Automotive Lighting) bi-xenon assemblies this past weekend.

I was pleased with how easy they were to install and basically connect but I suppose you all know what I'm going to say next. I've got the flickers and obviously the bi-xenon feature is not functioning yet. I've lightly read Scott ZHP's thread from 2003 and the road to bi-xenon seems like something I can handle with a friend (and beer). But I'm wondering if there's something I can do in the meantime to simply get rid of the flickering.

My own hack so far is to turn on the lights when the key is set to accessories and then start the car. This so far works 100% of the time with no flickering. When the car is running and I turn on the lights they will flicker more often than not. I have found that flashing the high beams (halogens) by pulling back on the stick ignites the xenons fully. Not really sure why these work but I don't consider these solutions either.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? Searching the forums hasn't turned up much else but my search fu is pretty weak I suppose. I don't have teh internets at home so I have to do all my research in secret at work which is stifling. :cry: Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In doing a little more reading it looks like the only way to really resolve the flickering is to recode the LCM. And if I recode the LCM, I loose the halogen high beams. Which means I'll need to get the bi-xenons working before hand. Does this sound accurate?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Even if you have the LCM flashed you will still have the high-beam halogens when you pull back the stalk. The only time it wont work is when you push the stalk forward which will activate the bi-xenons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if you have the LCM flashed you will still have the high-beam halogens when you pull back the stalk. The only time it wont work is when you push the stalk forward which will activate the bi-xenons.
But I don't have the bixenon working yet. I guess my point is that I was hoping there was something I could do to immediately deal with the flickering, but the solution to the flickering kills my high beams at this point in the process. So I really just need to get the bixenons sorted and that will fix the flickering too. It's all good. I'm learning as I go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts