BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a few more ponies under the hood. It's hard to not be attracted to Dinan tuning because of the quality, care, and warranty. I might go in today for the S1 software upgrade which boosts the revs 150rpms, removes the top speed limiter and increase throttle response in both regular and "sport" mode.

The full-on S1 signature package is also pretty tempting... but, costs a lot of cheese. I'm really looking for more low-end torque.

Any suggestions/help?!?!

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I don't want to do... The beauty of the M3 is its naturally aspirated small engine.

·
Tightrope walking
9,559 Posts
You won't find what you're looking for for cheap. It doesn't exist. They pretty much squeezed everything they could out of the S54 engine so that the only way to get more out of it is to open it up.

Headers, pulleys and software will get you some gains, but not without cost of parts and installation.

http://www.evosport.com/product/proddetail.aspx?partnum=EVO.EXH.B46.P02.ECU

If you want low-end torque, you've got the wrong car. The beauty of your engine is that it keeps on spinning. Just don't drive around anywhere less than 3000rpm and you won't have to worry about the low end :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm basically looking for the "best-bang-for the buck" which I will notice when I get in the car (i.e. a 5bhp/5 lbft gain isn't going to be noticeable). On the contrary, although the Dinan supercharger kit will be very noticeable, I'd rather just buy a 135i and chip it.

It would be nice to be around the 360bhp and 285's torque mark. Any ideas?

·
Registered
182 Posts
i've seen videos of chipped 335i's smoking the E92 M3, And some videos of people getting 0-60MPH times of 4.11 etc after the chip & tune, from what i've been reading its cheap too so the 135i idea might be worth entertaining :)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm basically looking for the "best-bang-for the buck" which I will notice when I get in the car (i.e. a 5bhp/5 lbft gain isn't going to be noticeable). On the contrary, although the Dinan supercharger kit will be very noticeable, I'd rather just buy a 135i and chip it.

It would be nice to be around the 360bhp and 285's torque mark. Any ideas?
Not gonna happen with bolt ons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts