Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 325i that I want to put drilled and slotted rotors on. I have installed 18'' wheels and would like to install a rotor that will be bigger than stock. I read that the 330I brakes will work and are bigger than the stock 325i. So I have a couple questions if anyone knows the answers.

1. Are the 330I a direct bolt on replacement to the 325i brakes?
2. Are pads, calipers, caliper mounts and rotors all I need?
3. Is there a better option?

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,617 Posts
The 330Ci brakes are more than enough for an average driver.

Are you going to be doing any track time or do you just want to "look cool"?
+1.
Apart from the need for a higher-performance pad compound, OE bone-stock 330Ci brakes are perfectly adequate for driver schools, right up through instructor-level pace. Slotted and/or drilled rotors are about 99% show, 1% go (or rather, stop ;)). Nothing wrong with that if it's what you're after.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. For the money, not really. Big brake kits for our cars cost $1,000+. The 330Ci brakes are more than enough for an average driver.

Are you going to be doing any track time or do you just want to "look cool"?
Look cool lol
since going to aftermarket wheels, that are more open making the rotor more visible, I want a better look. I was going to order pads and rotors but hit the bone yard for the calipers and mounts.

so is it the 330I or 330ci that work on the 325i and are all four corners direct bolt on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1.
Apart from the need for a higher-performance pad compound, OE bone-stock 330Ci brakes are perfectly adequate for driver schools, right up through instructor-level pace. Slotted and/or drilled rotors are about 99% show, 1% go (or rather, stop ;)). Nothing wrong with that if it's what you're after.
yes the look is the main thing Im after, with the larger more open wheel everything behind it is visible.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,083 Posts
yes the look is the main thing Im after, with the larger more open wheel everything behind it is visible.
In which case, be sure to paint your calipers BLACK, not red, yellow, or blue. Especially against the larger rotors you`re planning on, those puny-ass stockers look pathetically small....no need to draw unnecessary attention to them :tsk: :thumbdwn:

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,617 Posts
In which case, be sure to paint your calipers BLACK, not red, yellow, or blue. Especially against the larger rotors you`re planning on, those puny-ass stockers look pathetically small....no need to draw unnecessary attention to them :tsk: :thumbdwn:
Regardless of color, the trick is to paint the calipers and the carriers. ;)

·
Keeping it surreal
43,083 Posts
Regardless of color, the trick is to paint the calipers and the carriers. ;)
Indeed....and, let`s not forget the rotor hats, unless they already have an anti-corrosion coating applied to them. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No nothing will be painted bright colors

·
Keeping it surreal
43,083 Posts

·
I'm a DlCK! So what?
3,609 Posts
Aw, man... I was hoping to see neon pink! :rofl:

If you want to spend the extra money, ECS Tuning has a CSL big brake kit (345mm diameter rotors rather than the usual 325mm, so almost an inch larger) for $1,000. They also use an aluminum hat rotor, which cuts down quite a bit of weight. I've considered getting them, but c'mon... $1,000? Nope. I can get a full brake setup (pads and rotors) from Max Brakes for $200, and they're actually good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aw, man... I was hoping to see neon pink! :rofl:

If you want to spend the extra money, ECS Tuning has a CSL big brake kit (345mm diameter rotors rather than the usual 325mm, so almost an inch larger) for $1,000. They also use an aluminum hat rotor, which cuts down quite a bit of weight. I've considered getting them, but c'mon... $1,000? Nope. I can get a full brake setup (pads and rotors) from Max Brakes for $200, and they're actually good.
Max brakes has mine right now for 130.00 all four wheels

1 - 13 of 13 Posts