BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Friday evening I slide into my e46 330i. I've got two plans. 1. I have an appointment to drive the e90 330i at 5:30 pm and 2. I will leave for Coachella at 7pm and spend the weekend at a friend's extra house in Indio (right by the venue).

Well I turned the key and something didn't sound right. Call me a nervously nelly but when the car is shaking violently, tach's bouncing and the service engine soon light is lit, maybe there's a problem. I turned the car off, tried again. uh-oh. Just drove it the night before and while it's felt like a totally different (slower, less responsive, poor gas mileage) car since my inspection 1 service 2 weeks ago, this was decidely worse. Way worse. Still the past two weeks people have asked, "What happened to you car, it's really rough." I had no answer. I still didn't. But there was now no denying the car was running like absolute garbage.

Drove to the dealer, dropped it off, got a rental and then took out a 330i e90 with sport, premium, 6 mt. 41k msrp. I wouldn't get the premium package though...nothing on it really interests me.

Exterior...ho-hum. Not nearly as nice as the original e46s but a step up from the face-lifted ones. I guess. Car doesn't seem bigger inside or out. Lines are decent but the car's got half the flash of the 5 series. Doesn't matter, I don't buy for looks.

Got in and some things hit me. 1. The wood was cheapo looking garbage, but I expected that as all wood in cars looks downright pimp-like to me. Lack of tilt in the center console toward me I found totally offensive. I'm the driver, and EVERY button is mine, mine, all mine, not yours. It's none of the passenger's business and furthermore the cockpit feel in the car is gone.

Where the heck are the window controls? Oh that's right, they put them on the door. Lame. I like the new door armrest - much more comfy. The center console's better in some ways with a socket in it but I use my cupholders currently to hold me cell. Split on the new center portion. Some good, some bad. Can't see the radio display at all with my Maui Jim's on. Otherwise the interiors like a variation on BMW and it's certainly not any roomier (noticeably) than my e46 in front. Backseat...I don't care. That's the problem for passengers to deal with.

Hit the start button. Argh. This is just stupid. If I pushed a key in, let me twist it and get going. Leave the Knight Industries Two Thousand hokum for S2000 drivers. If the car had the smart key, yeah the button's great. Otherwise, forget this stupid two step process.

They shrinked the side mirrors even more!!!! The e46 had near worthless side mirrors, the e90 might as well not have side mirrors. What were they thinking? Do they honestly think these cars have good visibility? I've gotten used to the poor sight lines in my E46 but this is insane. The oval premium package mirror doesn't help either...driving almost as blind in this as I did in Audi's A3.

Engine's quiet. docile. Clutch pickup is smoother than my e46. Stick shift seems smoother, more targeted too. But the throws are exceptionally long. Uncomfortably long. I think my performance package had a different shifter.

On the road the car's planted. It sticks like crazy and the engine unlike any other e46 I've ever driven has power the whole time. no more peakiness, it's just pulls in one strong, linear fashion. Zipping up the hills of El Cajon the car carves like a surgeon's knife. It's far more sure-footed than my E46 and revs more smoothly. I'm rocking through the twists and the car's not getting at all fidgety and doesn't seem to understeer as much as my car. 30 mph corners flash by at 80. The car holds the line - these are run flats?! How is this car so smooth on 18s? Voodoo. BMW brought a witch doctor to Bavaria to work on the suspension. Wow, almost perfect symmetry between the engine and chassis.

Brakes felt fine. Switchgear is odd at first but overall the driving impressions were nice. Not sure if anything else can match this for 2006. I may dislike some odds and ends but the way the car feels when moving...well it's better than my e46. Get the car a decent muffler - some growl would be nice - and short-shift kit and I'll be a happy camper.

BTW, still no word on my e46 or what's wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
A great (funny) read. I drove the same car (as I assume you're talking Cunningham BMW) Saturday (yesterday) afternoon. Did the Mt Helix twisty ride with Jeremy.

Bottom line: the car is a pisser to drive...I want one...with a stick......NOW!

·
S62 powered
54 Posts
Was the 330i Silver?

If so...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
Ignition coil pack.

Same thing happened to me on vacation a few weeks ago. :mad:

Easy to fix though. They'll just pop in all new ignition coils, reset the light and you're off.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alan Flanary said:
Ignition coil pack.

Same thing happened to me on vacation a few weeks ago. :mad:

Easy to fix though. They'll just pop in all new ignition coils, reset the light and you're off.
Yep, that's what it was. Car feels lightyears different though. I think my engine hasn't been firing right for a long time. My engine feels like it pulls constantly now, not just above 4k rpm. :dunno:

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
She was jealous that you were looking at another.

·
Registered
402 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
Yep, that's what it was. Car feels lightyears different though. I think my engine hasn't been firing right for a long time. My engine feels like it pulls constantly now, not just above 4k rpm. :dunno:
What build date is your car again?

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
I told you it had low-end torque. Not GM pushrod-style low-end torque, but there's some grunt there nonetheless! :rofl:

·
2,457 Posts
blueguydotcom - Regarding the E46 said:
blueguydotcom - Regarding E90 Test Drive said:
It sticks like crazy and the engine unlike any other e46 I've ever driven has power the whole time. no more peakiness, it's just pulls in one strong, linear fashion. Zipping up the hills of El Cajon the car carves like a surgeon's knife. It's far more sure-footed than my E46 and revs more smoothly.
How would you compare them now?

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LarryN said:
How would you compare them now?
Still think the e90 was a pretty big leap. The power was smoother and more linear and the e90 still seems much better handling.

·
2,457 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
Still think the e90 was a pretty big leap. The power was smoother and more linear and the e90 still seems much better handling.
:thumbup: Thanks for answering. I have a 330i 5sp e46, and thought the exact same thing about the power/diving feel, driving them back to back. It was pouring when I took it out though, so I was wondering about dry weather driving. Even wet, I could take an offramp at close to 80, and it just grabbed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
On the road the car's planted. It sticks like crazy and the engine unlike any other e46 I've ever driven has power the whole time. no more peakiness, it's just pulls in one strong, linear fashion. Zipping up the hills of El Cajon the car carves like a surgeon's knife. It's far more sure-footed than my E46 and revs more smoothly. I'm rocking through the twists and the car's not getting at all fidgety and doesn't seem to understeer as much as my car. 30 mph corners flash by at 80. The car holds the line - these are run flats?! How is this car so smooth on 18s? Voodoo. BMW brought a witch doctor to Bavaria to work on the suspension. Wow, almost perfect symmetry between the engine and chassis.

Brakes felt fine. Switchgear is odd at first but overall the driving impressions were nice. Not sure if anything else can match this for 2006. I may dislike some odds and ends but the way the car feels when moving...well it's better than my e46. Get the car a decent muffler - some growl would be nice - and short-shift kit and I'll be a happy camper.
That's why I placed my order. Better than ever 3-series in my opinion. Previously had a 2000 328Ci w/ BMW accessory Aero Kit, Rear Spoiler, and 18" BMW wheels. :thumbup:

·
Registered
336 Posts
stewthebassman said:
Great review, good luck with your e46!
Screw the automobile review....TELL US ABOUT COACHELLA!!!!

What bands did you see?
In your opinion who was good? Any new bands (to you) that you liked?

I couldn't make it this year :bawling: :tsk: .

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Eduardo said:
Screw the automobile review....TELL US ABOUT COACHELLA!!!!

What bands did you see?
In your opinion who was good? Any new bands (to you) that you liked?

I couldn't make it this year :bawling: :tsk: .
Unfortunately, we only ended up going Saturday. I would have preferred only going Sunday as I'm a big NIN and Dresden Dolls fan. I was overruled.

Only good thing I saw - we'd usually watch 3 or 4 songs from each band and then move to the next - was Perry Farrell DJing. The rest of it was pretty darn awful - band after boring band or rapper or DJ with nothing original or interesting to say/show. Good people watching though. That's usually more fun anyway...just checking out how different people are. I can people watch all day (and in general did just that).

·
Registered
311 Posts
BMW's know when you are cheating on them and they act up. I can confirm this. Everytime I have seriously considered another car or taken a test drive, or about to put one up for sale, the check engine light will come on, or there will be some new noise under the hood.

I know this sounds stupid, but my friend has had the same thing happen to him on more than one occasion. The only exception to this rule was when my parents sold me thier 5-series, but it was staying in the immediate family so it didn't care.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts