BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 330ci. The top was working fine until my wife opened the passenger side door while it was in the process of opening. It immediately stopped and has not opened since. It opens about 2" from the top and then stops. I was thinking it would be some type of reset, but have not been able to find anythnig that works.

My wife took it to the BMW dealership and they charged me $200 but found nothing. They told her they would need another $300 to keep looking!

Based on other threads I went ahead an cut open the wiring near the pinch point by the window and found no broken wires. That makes sense to me as I find it highly coincidental a wire broke at exactly the same time my wife opened the door.

I have pulled the white wiring harness off the CVM, and tested continuity as shown on other posts. I get continuity on 18/9, 17/8, 16/7, 10/11/12, 1/2/3, but nothing on 14/13 or 5/4.

Any thoughts?

·
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt
879 Posts
I had a vert e46 for 15 years. If the top stopped from opening a door it could just be a fault code. Did you try resetting the top by holding the button ? You may need a scan tool to clear any current faults if the reset doesn't work.

Secondly - the wiring harness that most often screws the top operation is the elephant trunk harness that runs from the body to the trunk lid. The wires inside fray and short. This can happen during operation from the vibration of the top opening/closing. Lots of info at e46 fanatics - especially my posts and pics.

More importantly - Order BMW Scanner 1.4 from eBay or Amazon and for $20 (cable and software) you will have dealer level diagnostics for your e46 vert - this will scan the CVT module (and every other module in your BMW convertible) and tell you the exact problem - It runs on Win Xp, Win 7 - so buy a cheap notebook (if you don't have one lying around) and load it up and never see the dealer again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info! I have the OBD II scan tool, but it sounds like this will give additional information. I went ahead and ordered the 1.4 scanner to see what it will do.

Yes, I had ready about the trunk location as well, and will try to look at it tonight. I just keep thinking it would be very coincidental for a wire to break because a door was opened.

I have tried resetting, but that has not worked. I called the BMW dealership who looked at it and they said it had faults for the BOW sensor, and that they felt like it was the hydraulic system.

Will keep working at it. Thanks again.

·
879 Posts
Yeah the BMW Scanner 1.4 is a MUST have tool for an e46. The CVT module monitors the windows as it moves them up or down during operation. Opening the door may have disrupted the logic. Check that the top storage receptacle in the trunk is down and has the handle locked in the proper position. Try closing the door and trunk and putting the key in the drivers door and holding it in the lock (90 degrees forward) position for a period (30 secs) then try it 180 degrees the other way.

If all else fails the scanner will pinpoint the exact CVT error. - You might just need to clear the error codes.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Prior to getting the scan tool you bought you can try disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds or so. That should also reset any codes. I don't often open a door when putting the top down, but I have operated the top with the driver door open without any problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help. I have purchased the BMW scanner 1.4 and hooked it up. It gave me four errors, although none were currently active. They are providing me no information though and couldn't find anything on my internet search. They were:
  1. VSW 4.2, input at ground
  2. V4SBA, not connected
  3. V3SBE, not connected
  4. Soft-top connector not adapted

I tried clearing the codes with no change. I also disconnected the battery with no effect. I tried the key in the door, but it only locked and unlocked the door.

Basically, when I press the open button, the windows go down, the soft top disengages from the front locks and raise about an inch, then I hear a "click" and the top stops opening. If I release the open button and press it again, I hear a click. It sounds like it is coming from the trunk, but I cannot verify as I cannot have the trunk open or it won't work. At this point, I could press the close button and the operation successfully completes. However, if I manually raise the top until the first joint starts to bend (~6"), and press the open button, I hear a much fainter click and nothing happens. In this position the close button will not work. But if I lower the top manually just a little, I get the louder click and the close button will work again.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Rick

·
879 Posts
My suspicion is one of the sensors is either disconnected or malfunctioning. I've attached the service manual for the CVM on the e46 - take a read.

Can you post the actual CVM module error log (or the whole scan log for that matter) from BMW Scanner - you will find it in a sub folder from C:\bmw-scanner\ that is using date and time (from when you scanned) - it is a text file.

Edit: Although a different chassis the e46 top was an upgraded e36 top. The e36 top had an initialization process that might be worth trying:

Initialization of the system is required for the CVM to learn the end limits of the top storage
cover. The CVM counts the pulses from the integrated hall sensor in the cover motor to
determine the cover position.
An initialization run occurs automatically after every eighth operation of the top. This
ensures that the hall sensor counting circuit is not adversely affected by any backlash or
elasticity of the top cover drive mechanism.
The hall sensor counter reading is
stored in a NV RAM, however it is
possible for this data to be incorrect
or out of sync for the following
conditions:
***8226; Power supply interrupted while
top is in operation
***8226; Electrical failures that require
manual closing of the top.

INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE
1. The top must be placed in the storage compartment
***8226; Motors engaged with the drives.
***8226; Top storage cover closed
2. Ignition key switched OFF.
3. Press and hold the top switch in the lowering direction.
4. Switch the ignition on (KL R).
5. After approximately 10 seconds the top storage cover will start to close and lock.
6. At this point release the the top switch. The initialization procedure will continue running.
The procedure is complete approximately 0.5 seconds after the top storage cover
is closed and locked.
NOTE: The initialization procedure can be interrupted by switching the ignition off.

Attachments

·
879 Posts
Didn't you clear the CVM errors though? The CVM needs to know certain things to allow the top to operate. Status of windows, status of trunk opening etc. If the roof is up now with ign on hold the DOWN button for at least a minute (60 secs) then scan - if the roof doesn't work it is supposed to post the error after 20 secs.

If you can it would be beneficial to see the log scan file from the first time you used BMW Scanner. You will find it under the %root%\BMW-Scanner directory in a folder that has the name as the date and time you first scanned. If you go into this folder there may be several files but there will be one with the same %date and time%.LOG - if you can attach that then I can see the original errors.

See pics for getting this file

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the continued help. I have attached the original file, but it seems to show no errors. I have attached two from today. Before the first one, the top was in the down position, the errors cleared, and the the closed button was held for one minute and then scanned. The second one from today was after the top was manually closed, scanner cleared, top tried to open for one minute and the scanner attached and re-read.

I had to save the files to pdf as it wouldn't let me upload the actual log files.

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

·
879 Posts
CVM -> 65/21 - Tightening frame not completely lifted

This is not an error I'm familiar with. In a similar case where the top would not work it was due the to the General Module not reading "Window Down" - which is a status in the CVM process. Not what you want to hear but you might have to resort to factory diagnostics for analyzing the CVM process via INPA diagnostics and see which step fails. It can verify each sensor and the hydraulic pump. INPA cable is about $15. See here for CVM analysis via INPA:

Using INPA to diagnose CVM

I doubt this is the root of your issue but here's a case where the CVM relay was shot although the fuse was intact causing the top up/down to fail - fairly good diagnosis description however:

E46 CVM - failed with bad relay

This info is from this thread at e46F which has a separate forum for just e46 convertibles and very active - I'd ask about that BMW Scanner 1.4 Error Code (65/21) over there to see if someone is more familiar with it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

e46 Convertible top not opening or closing
Red light, top doesn't move, no error codes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to provide an update...

I finally took it to the BMW dealer and they diagnosed it as a failure of the hydraulic pump. Parts and labor were $2300, so I declined. I am thinking of ordering a used pump and replacing it myself. If that fails, I will just manually lower and raise the top when needed!

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Good Lord! Why take a 15 year old car to the dealer and not be ready to get bent over a barrel for a large repair bill? (I'm as gay as the day is long, I can say that) Did they charge you $200 for diagnosis and did nothing in the end?

Used is the way to go, only if the pump is actually dead (i don't trust dealers for diagnosis, even when it costs me nothing under warranty) and the used pump still has life in it. These cars are really not that hard to work on. Someone who is mechanically inclined should be able to put a pump in for a couple of hours worth of labor.

·
879 Posts
I wanted to provide an update...

I finally took it to the BMW dealer and they diagnosed it as a failure of the hydraulic pump. Parts and labor were $2300, so I declined. I am thinking of ordering a used pump and replacing it myself. If that fails, I will just manually lower and raise the top when needed!

Thanks
Rick
I think that is wise. Post an update. Lot's of used working parts out there online.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

I found a used hydraulic pump online and installed it. The top is now working, but very slowly. It needs help on they way up, as there is not enough power for the motor to do it by itself. The hydraulic fluid is at the top of the circle when the top is down. Is the motor bad? Do I need to bleed the lines? I had read they were self bleeding?

One final note, when the top was down and I was removing the original pump, the hydraulic fluid we well above the top of the circle (like it was overfilled). I am temped to overfill this pump to see if that helps.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found a used hydraulic pump online and installed it. The top is now working, but very slowly. It needs help on they way up, as there is not enough power for the motor to do it by itself. The hydraulic fluid is at the top of the circle when the top is down. Is the motor bad? Do I need to bleed the lines? I had read they were self bleeding?

One final note, when the top was down and I was removing the original pump, the hydraulic fluid we well above the top of the circle (like it was overfilled). I am temped to overfill this pump to see if that helps.

Thanks,
Rick
Hi, Rick.
I know it´s been over an year since you posted this info, but i hope you can help me.
I've replaced the vert pump and also have a slow movement of the vert. Have you managed to get it to work properly? Thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts