BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you may remember that we had some dialogue regarding a possible 3 series facelist.

please read below an email from the editor of BMW magazine in the UK.

"There is a facelift coming for the E46 3 Series Coupé and Convertibles, but
naturally enough BMW is keeping its cards close to its chest as to exactly
when the restyled car will arrive. While we have no official word, we expect
the revised car to start being produced in March 2003, ready for late
March/April delivery. Rumour has it that the change to the cars won¹t be as
drastic as the restyle for the Saloons and Tourings"

Regards

Bob Harper
Editor, BMW Car

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
richards said:
you may remember that we had some dialogue regarding a possible 3 series facelist.

please read below an email from the editor of BMW magazine in the UK.

"There is a facelift coming for the E46 3 Series Coupé and Convertibles, but
naturally enough BMW is keeping its cards close to its chest as to exactly
when the restyled car will arrive. While we have no official word, we expect
the revised car to start being produced in March 2003, ready for late
March/April delivery. Rumour has it that the change to the cars won¹t be as
drastic as the restyle for the Saloons and Tourings"

Regards

Bob Harper
Editor, BMW Car
omg :bawling: :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jon,
Now that the facelift is looking like it will happen, should I reconsider my M3 convertible that is at status 193???

Max
;)

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,461 Posts
Max said:
Jon,
Now that the facelift is looking like it will happen, should I reconsider my M3 convertible that is at status 193???

Max
;)
Max,

If you contact BMWNA right now, Tom Salkowsky - M Brand
Manager's office, they will deny the "facelift" rumors straight up
as unfounded...

:dunno:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jon,
I can hardly wait until next month let alone wait six months, I am only messing.
Also, if they change the lights to the sedan style I would probably not buy a march 03 production.

Max

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Max said:
Also, if they change the lights to the sedan style I would probably not buy a march 03 production.
Maybe I just don't understand the thought process here :dunno:

OK, the "snow plow" bumper is not exactly awe inspiring, but it can be replaced. But is the new upswept turn signal light design so hideous that it would actually cause you to NOT buy the car. After all, the rest of the body is still BMW-style. It's not like BMW is suddenly selling 3ers and M3s that look like Jettas or Audis.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
like they changed the engines (323/325 and 328/330) in June 2000, it wouldn't surprise me to see some changes in the middle of a production year.

·
Here since day one
7,183 Posts
operknockity said:

Maybe I just don't understand the thought process here :dunno:

OK, the "snow plow" bumper is not exactly awe inspiring, but it can be replaced. But is the new upswept turn signal light design so hideous that it would actually cause you to NOT buy the car. After all, the rest of the body is still BMW-style. It's not like BMW is suddenly selling 3ers and M3s that look like Jettas or Audis.
I agree with you . . . plus I like the newer look better than the pre-2002 look. It looks cleaner and more modern to me.

My coupe is nice but the titianium colored grill (or whatever you call it) isn't the best looking design in the world . . . hopefully they change it along with the facelift.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think the titanium grill is great looking. In fact I am so found of the titanium grill that this feature influenced my buying decision.
-Lori

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Alan F said:

I agree with you . . . plus I like the newer look better than the pre-2002 look. It looks cleaner and more modern to me.

My coupe is nice but the titianium colored grill (or whatever you call it) isn't the best looking design in the world . . . hopefully they change it along with the facelift.
Oh alan, i see you changing quick since you ordered your i, thoughts change quick don't they :dunno: :D

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
Lori said:
I think the titanium grill is great looking. In fact I am so found of the titanium grill that this feature influenced my buying decision.
-Lori
I agree..it looks great! :thumbup:

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
Lori said:
In fact I am so found of the titanium grill that this feature influenced my buying decision.
But would you have purchased something else (another marque as opposed to a sedan vs a coupe) if that grill had not been there?

I can understand someone buying something else when faced with the hideous nature of the new 7 or the new Z4, but for something as minor as the design change for the turn signal on the 3 are you really gonna give up on the car and the marque when %95+ of the car has not changed? If so, I suspect you were only getting a BMW for the cachet of the brand rather than as an enthusiast. (Not that there is anything with that as folks buy cars for lots of different reasons, but you open yourself up as a target on a board composed primarily of enthusiasts when you do that).

I was some what exagerating about the new 7 & Z4... I just picked on them because they are newest and most extreme examples of Banglism in the fleet and I'm not really their target market for those cars.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
operknockity said:

But would you have purchased something else (another marque as opposed to a sedan vs a coupe) if that grill had not been there?

I can understand someone buying something else when faced with the hideous nature of the new 7 or the new Z4, but for something as minor as the design change for the turn signal on the 3 are you really gonna give up on the car and the marque when %95+ of the car has not changed? If so, I suspect you were only getting a BMW for the cachet of the brand rather than as an enthusiast. (Not that there is anything with that as folks buy cars for lots of different reasons, but you open yourself up as a target on a board composed primarily of enthusiasts when you do that).

I was some what exagerating about the new 7 & Z4... I just picked on them because they are newest and most extreme examples of Banglism in the fleet and I'm not really their target market for those cars.
I think the ones on the board are not liking the headlights more than grill :dunno:

·
My TARDIS is a BMW
5,352 Posts
CCs328Ci said:
I think the ones on the board are not liking the headlights more than grill :dunno:
Well, I was using the headlights as an obvious example, but the point is really why would one put the kibosh on buying a car because of some minor(!) styling changes to the exterior when so much of the car is still the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
WOW...................didn't mean to start someting :)

To me the headlights is a big deal, I think they made the old sedan look aggressive and mean and the new look is toned down. My family and friends (a few who also have BMW's agree).
Just like everything in life it is a personal thing.

As for not purchasing one because of the new look, I would purchase the same car with the old style as long as it is available, once it is no more and If I want a new car, I will have no choice but to buy it.
Just like the new Bangle designs, If BMW changes the look of all their cars to the Bangle look, we are just going to have to get use to it. BMW is still the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE.

Max

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
DougDogs said:

The Autoweek magizine I got yesterday, states no changes on 3 series until 2005 :dunno: :dunno:

Autoweek's been wrong before, but, usaully they have good info.
maybe that means MAJOR changes..:dunno:

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Max said:
To me the headlights is a big deal, I think they made the old sedan look aggressive and mean and the new look is toned down.
Interesting. I think the '02 lights in conjunction with the wider grill and hood bulge extending out to the A-pillars makes the front end look decidedly MORE aggressive... like a big cat ready to pounce.

:dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Alan F said:

The other day I finally put my finger to why I do not like the facelifted sedans as much as the older sedans (no offense to all of you who love the facelift). The lights looks too clean and modern compared to the rest of the design of the car. The E46 body still carries a lot of very classy lines from the earlier E36 (although TD won't admit it), and almost the entire styling and design has all the traditional, old school BMW about it. Now couple that with the sleek, modern lights it creates a contrast...A contrast I'm not 100% comfortable with.

But then again, sales figures would indicate that I am the minority on this matter. :dunno:

·
Registered
340 Posts
The taillights are what bug me about the face-lifted sedan. The "striped" red-orange-red arrangement looks very un-BMW. It looks like they're copying someone else (early '90s Lexus?). I really hope they don't do that to the coupe.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts