BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having searched the web, it seems most people are interested in taking off the front license plate, but I need to put one on. I have a E46 coupe (330ci) and part# 51118245103. That part has a plastic tab that slips into the bumper and two plastic clips that connect to the underside of the front bumper, but that doesn't seem like it will hold it on very tightly. It looks like the wind will push the part down, and undo the clips. There are some holes in this part besides the ones needed for mounting the plate, but none behind them in the car. Are the clips really all that hold this part to the front bumper? Are there any other parts I should get for mounting my front license plate?

Also, does anyone have a picture of the chrome front license plate holder, part 51118255006? I'm thinking it may look nicer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
front plate e46

$4.88 worth of hardware from Lowes. Forget the $60 plastic design from BMWNA. It requires holes in the front facia and looks like a nose.
A couple of galvanized lightweight braces from the hardware section. You can bend a section to the angle required. It can screw under the bumper where it can't be seen. Add a couple of coloured plastic screwcaps to cover the head of the plate bolts. It looks much better than anything I have seen. Write me for pictures. Good luck.

·
Coconut Pete's paella!
5,215 Posts
I won't tell you not to get the chrome based on my personal preference, but on my last 2 cars which were both E46's, I purposely deleted all the chrome.....

I have the holder you posted a link to but DANG that Is expensive for a piece of plastic!

I'd look on ebay or in the classifieds for a license plate holder. Either that Or I'd mount it on the lower grille, depending on what bumper you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front license plate issue

Having searched the web, it seems most people are interested in taking off the front license plate, but I need to put one on. I have a E46 coupe (330ci) and part# 51118245103. That part has a plastic tab that slips into the bumper and two plastic clips that connect to the underside of the front bumper, but that doesn't seem like it will hold it on very tightly. It looks like the wind will push the part down, and undo the clips. There are some holes in this part besides the ones needed for mounting the plate, but none behind them in the car. Are the clips really all that hold this part to the front bumper? Are there any other parts I should get for mounting my front license plate?

Also, does anyone have a picture of the chrome front license plate holder, part 51118255006? I'm thinking it may look nicer.
Hello, Did you ever solve this issue? Im in the same boat. Any ideas?
Thanks
George
[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts