BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there, I'm new to the forum. Ive been having some issues with my driver side lock cylinder on my 2001 330ci. I read a few post by other members as to what might be the problem. So here are the symptoms, When I unlock the door with the remote I hear it click but the door doesn't unlock and when I try to use the key to unlock it it travels 90 degrees both ways when I rotate the key. I've been going through the passenger door to unlock the driver door. Also note that I am able to lock the car with the remote just can't unlock it.

Any ideas as to what might cause this? I've read a few other posts and have concluded that its the lock cylinder that needs to be fixed. I've already ordered a kit on ebay to fix it, let me know if you guys think I'm right. And given that no one else really has pics of the removal and installation process Ill post some after I fix it if it is indeed the lock cylinder.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have seen a lock cylinder fix DIY on one of these forums, maybe over on e46 fanatics, bimmerforums or here. There where pictures so it would help if you could find it. I've had the same problem for some time on my sedan drivers door, now I just don't lock it and have been lucky so far. The issue is working its way to the top of the to do list though so I'll be watching for your fix, good luck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
FYI- check out pelicanparts.com. Look in the tech articles for the 3 series interior, "door panel and lock troubleshooting". The diy's are mostly for e-36's but there are lots of comments and staff replys to your specific situation on the e46.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
door lock cylinder

After some more research I did indeed find a DIY fix with pictures. I was hoping to find one that demonstrates how to remove the cylinder from the door, but no luck. I think all I need is a flat head screw driver to remove the palstic cap on the door over the cylinder then Ill figure the rest out. I'll try to be as detailed as possible once I get started, I'll try to post a video too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts