BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May I ask how many km / miles a 325CI can run approximately with a full tank of fuel?

If I found the fuel comsumption is higher than normal, what seems to be the problems most of the cases?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Well I don't really check how many miles I do with a full tank of gas, but right now my car is averaging 18.9 miles a gallon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
Mileage

I have taken a few trips from Los Angeles to Mesa, Arizona nonstop--431 miles. Usually at some point on both legs of the trip I'll encounter some crappy stop and go traffic, but even still the mileage will be around 29-30mpg per the onboard computer.

When I get to my destination there's almost a gallon or so left. So maybe with all cruising,450 miles would be realistic for the 2.5L. I should also mention that mine is a stick.
 

·
Coupe OR Never
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
yu146504 said:
May I ask how many km / miles a 325CI can run approximately with a full tank of fuel?

If I found the fuel comsumption is higher than normal, what seems to be the problems most of the cases?

Thanks in advance.
EddieB has given you highway milage already so I won't repeat. To me, city milage is more important. I have 325Ci and I get about 350-380 miles on a full tank (16+ gallongs of mid grade or premium) At the end of the tank, my onboard computer reads between 23 to 25 mpg.
But again this is all city milage NOT highway. And mine is automatic.
 

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
Joined
·
4,571 Posts
My car has a 16.6 gal. gas tank. If you want to take freeway driving into consideration, I can average 28-30 MPG with cruise control.. given that estimate, I'd say about 450-480 miles on a tank of gas freeway driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
iskoos said:
EddieB has given you highway milage already so I won't repeat. To me, city milage is more important. I have 325Ci and I get about 350-380 miles on a full tank (16+ gallongs of mid grade or premium) At the end of the tank, my onboard computer reads between 23 to 25 mpg.
But again this is all city milage NOT highway. And mine is automatic.
which city do u live in? the stop lights on mym city are relentless, i end up getting 300-333 miles per tank if highway and city mixed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 325CI's fuel consumption is a lot higher comparing the figures from you guys. I think my car need a checkup.
 

·
Coupe OR Never
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
bmwstephen said:
which city do u live in? the stop lights on mym city are relentless, i end up getting 300-333 miles per tank if highway and city mixed
I said between 350-380 but it also depends on how you drive other than the stop lights. I use regular automatic shift. Not Sports or Steptronic. And I don't do street drags after stop lights. Well maybe sometimes(not much);)

So in other words, If I drive a fresman college kid trying to rev up the engine everytime he sees chicks around, then I think I would hardly go over 300 miles on a single tank.

So don't worry about it Stephen. It not the city factor only...
 

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
Joined
·
10,478 Posts
yu146504 said:
May I ask how many km / miles a 325CI can run approximately with a full tank of fuel?

If I found the fuel comsumption is higher than normal, what seems to be the problems most of the cases?

Thanks in advance.
There is no "normal" because we all drive differently in different amounts of traffic. For example, in the first half of my drive to work, I spend a huge percentage of the time idling waiting for traffic lights to turn and then accelerating with almost zero constant speed movement. During this phase, I get around 12mpg. However, during the second part of my trip, I move at a constant speed with no lights, and by the end of the trip, the average is between 19 and 20mpg. On the highway, I easily get over 30mpg. Lifetime average so far is 23.3 mpg because I don't do much highway driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I get anywhere from 19 to 21MPG (300-350 miles) in city driving. Around 25-30MPG (400+ miles) on the highway. My car is a 325 stickshift, and I drive VERY aggressively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
340 miles per tank in mixed city/highway and 450 miles highway. Mine is a 325i manual. Your Hong Kong 325ci may have a numerically higher differential gear than my USA sedan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I got some data for you:
Over the last 126 refills of my tank:
The highest miles between fill-ups was 486.0 miles
The highest MPG was 31.5 mpg
The lowest MPG was 10.7 mpg (see HPDE below)
The average MPG to date is 24.27 mpg 44,954 miles / 1,852.31 gallons purchased
That includes 5 HPDE weekends where I averaged 11 mpg for the weekend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yu146504 said:
May I ask how many km / miles a 325CI can run approximately with a full tank of fuel?

If I found the fuel comsumption is higher than normal, what seems to be the problems most of the cases?

Thanks in advance.
Dear all, back to the original question.

I've brought my car to have engine oil / oil filter / air filter / spark plug changed and got a bottle of additive for cleaning the fuel injection system. However, it seems the consumption of my fuel is still abnormally high.

Can anyone suggest any reason? Or what part of the car I should check like O2 sensor? How do I know if the O2 sensor is not functioning normally? Thanks again for all of your assistance. :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
yu146504 said:
Dear all, back to the original question.

I've brought my car to have engine oil / oil filter / air filter / spark plug changed and got a bottle of additive for cleaning the fuel injection system. However, it seems the consumption of my fuel is still abnormally high.

Can anyone suggest any reason? Or what part of the car I should check like O2 sensor? How do I know if the O2 sensor is not functioning normally? Thanks again for all of your assistance. :angel:
I noticed you're in Hong Kong, do you do many highway miles or is it mostly city?

I'd say 23-24mpg quoted above for city driving is a lot higher than most, if I flog my car around town I can get 12-14mpg, which would be about 200 miles on a tank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gos said:
I noticed you're in Hong Kong, do you do many highway miles or is it mostly city?

I'd say 23-24mpg quoted above for city driving is a lot higher than most, if I flog my car around town I can get 12-14mpg, which would be about 200 miles on a tank.
>90 % City Driving as you may know how small Hong Kong is.

Well, it seems very hard for me to figure out if there is really a problem or not. But one thing is I don't step on the gas pendal hard, but I can only run ~300 km on a full tank. One of the things you guys may not know, gas in Hong Kong is very expensive. I need more than $100 US to get a full tank of fuel. Can you guys imagine that?? :cry:
 

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
Joined
·
10,478 Posts
yu146504 said:
>90 % City Driving as you may know how small Hong Kong is.

Well, it seems very hard for me to figure out if there is really a problem or not. But one thing is I don't step on the gas pendal hard, but I can only run ~300 km on a full tank. One of the things you guys may not know, gas in Hong Kong is very expensive. I need more than $100 US to get a full tank of fuel. Can you guys imagine that?? :cry:
300km/tank? Ok, that's bad. Is that less than what you used to get? Mileage like that is still possible with a good running car if you spend lots of time idling waiting for traffic to move. If that's the case, you really need a Prius.
 

·
Former ZHP pilot
Joined
·
884 Posts
Went to Dallas this past weekend, 470 miles on one tank. Drove between 70-80mph with the a/c on encountered no traffic or detours. Computer mpg average indicated was 31.7mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
I've gotten 38.5mpg or 6L/100km on my trip from Blaine, WA to Portland, OR last month. My computer said I had 630 miles / 1,025km for a tank. That was awesome! I did a 300 mile trip and didn't even use half a tank of fuel! :thumbup: Driving conditions must have been near perfect though...I don't think I'll ever get that again. I got around 33-35MPG on the way home depending on how hard I drove.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top