Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 325i 201,xxx miles. I've looked up a bunch of posts about the alternator going out and limp mode. My red battery light was on car went into limp mode. Changed battery and alternator, red battery light is gone and now still in limp mode. Tranny ran great before, cleared codes no gear light, drive about 100 yards then limp mode again. P0734 P01732. Both Tranny codes. Not sure why I'm getting these. I've tried all the recommender steps. Will really dirty transmission fluid or a bad filter cause the car to go into limp mode. I did disconnect the top coolant tube for easier access to the alternator an coolant leaked into the belts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
2002 325i 201,xxx miles. I've looked up a bunch of posts about the alternator going out and limp mode. My red battery light was on car went into limp mode. Changed battery and alternator, red battery light is gone and now still in limp mode. Tranny ran great before, cleared codes no gear light, drive about 100 yards then limp mode again. P0734 P01732. Both Tranny codes. Not sure why I'm getting these. I've tried all the recommender steps. Will really dirty transmission fluid or a bad filter cause the car to go into limp mode. I did disconnect the top coolant tube for easier access to the alternator an coolant leaked into the belts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Maybe if you post this in the right forum you would get answers.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,083 Posts
Maybe if you post this in the right forum you would get answers.
His car IS an E46....where would you suggest that he post ?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Hmmm, google “BMW E46 hidden OBC functions.” Test #9 shows the voltages as seen by the engine management computer (DME). Check and report back the voltage when the:
- ignition is in the run position when the engine is not running
- engine idling
- engine revving at 2000rpm.

Also, try this BMW approved procedure:
- disconnect the ground cable from the battery
- disconnect the positive cable from the battery
- short the 2 cables together for at least 10 minutes
- reconnect the positive cable to the battery
- reconnect the ground cable to the battery (sparks are ok)
- reset the clock.

This forces all re computers to perform a hard reboot.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,466 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts