BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new member here. As the title of the the thread says, I'm considering an E46 M3 for my first car. Here's the car in question:
- 2004 M3 (it has the SMG transmission)
- 98,000 miles on the clock
P.S. I cannot attach the pictures of the car, so I'll leave a link down below.

https://ciudaddeguatemala.olx.com.g...upe-a5-ci-325-330-335-c300-c350-iid-895432709

To E46 M3 owners out there, what should I expect from the car, regarding problems and maintenance costs.
I'm aware that the SMG transmission is not the most solid out there, so what can I expect from it?
Any other things I should be aware of?

Thanks!_a_

·
bmw addict
1,345 Posts
You're joking right:rofl:

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Hi! good to hear from Central America!, I'm from El Salvador myself, and I see it as your location so, hola!

I'm aware that the SMG transmission is not the most solid out there, so what can I expect from it?
You can expect it to break! lol

Seriously, It depends on the individual car and the maintenance/issue history. I personally would stay away from SMG. Mostly if you are in a country where parts are not readily available and prices are much higher than, let's say, the US.

Also, finding a good shop or mechanic that can work on them, other than the Dealer, can be difficult.
But if money is not a problem and you have a second car to drive while the M3 is broken down, go for it.

·
Registered fo life
98 Posts
first car + SMG = bad idea. Unless you want to throw money away and have a headache

Edit: The link does not work

1 - 4 of 4 Posts