BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My e46 M3 starts just fine but after turning it off it cannot be restarted for about 2 hours.

The battery is completely fine but perhaps it is the starter or the anti-theft system?

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to our E46 M3 forum, you'll get more help in here. When you say it won't start, what happens?

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Tim!

I wanted to make a video, but will have to do it when I get back to the car tomorrow... the electrical stuff seems fine and it just won't start.

Is there some sound or lights I should be looking for to help narrow down the possibilities?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The check engine light comes off and on periodically and has been doing so for about 7 months... prior to the starting issue

When it fails to start these days (when attempted to be started within 2 hours of being shut off).. It clicks once and wont start despite all the electrical aspects of the car continuing to work fine

Thank you for the response, Tim!

P.S. I am a bit disappointed to say that I do not know how to tell if it is a crank or a click.. or even a fire.. but there is only one sound.. on the first attempt to start the click happens after a delay.. and then on subsequent attempts the click is immediate but no firing on any accounts. I will make a video ASAP

·
Bimmerfest Founder
15,712 Posts
Click(s) means it makes a little noise but won't physically turn the engine.
Cranks means the starter engages and turns the engine but it won't fire up.

A car and have a dead battery and not start, but it also doesn't crank over. A car could be out of fuel and crank but not fire.

Do you have SMG by chance?

Tim

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Get your codes read (since you've had intermittent SES light) and have your battery and charging system tested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts