BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Screw M3 brakes. You want X5 4.6is brakes. Have you seen the size of those suckers? :bigpimp:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I need to find is a good rear big brake kit. ECIS/Porsche hybrid are my only choice so far and there's no way in hell I'm going to put a Porche logo on my BMW.

·
Hi
4,481 Posts
Since you seem to have considered the ECIS kit, won't Brembos fit? Otherwise, for the M3 conversion, I would think that changing the caliper carrier, calipers and rotors should do the trick. I don't have the BMW parts CD, maybe someone who has it can help you further. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
The only front and rear matched brake kits I can think of are UUC and Movit.

All I want are someone's stock 330 castoffs. :D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Raffi said:
Since you seem to have considered the ECIS kit, won't Brembos fit? Otherwise, for the M3 conversion, I would think that changing the caliper carrier, calipers and rotors should do the trick. I don't have the BMW parts CD, maybe someone who has it can help you further. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Brembo doesn't make a rear brake kit for E46s. Brembo does make a caliper upgrade for the M3 however.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Clem said:

Brembo doesn't make a rear brake kit for E46s. Brembo does make a caliper upgrade for the M3 however.
They don't make a SEPERATE kit for the rears but you CAN put the fronts on the rears...Why I don't know.

The M3 rear brake parts are as follows:

Attachments

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Brake discs and vent shield. I don't know if you need to buy a new vent shield, most likely not.

Attachments

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Doesn't AC Schnitzer offer some sort of big brake kit Clem? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Clem said:
Not big enough. :eek: :eek:

If you put the front M3 brakes on the rear. What happens to the park brake?
You can't.

The caliper carriers don't fit. You will need to custom fabricate the carrier AND custom fabricate a new set of rotors.

By the way, the hub on the rotors act as the drum in the rear drum parking brakes.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Clem said:

Too small :eeps: :eeps: :eeps: but it is still under consideration.
I suggest you just sell it and start over with a new project car. Preferably something with more "base" power:angel:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Clem said:

Maybe I just need to find that donor M62TU B44 :eeps: :eeps:
I guess that could work:dunno: :p

But I don't know if you could handle 286 kmh:yikes:

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
What front brakes did you do???

Most of the big brake kits swap the fronts because of the larger proportion of the braking they do. For example, I thought that the new A4's brakes are ~12" in the front....but ~10" in the rear.

With a high percentage of the braking done by the fronts... why bother with that big rears? You could just do the 330's 12.6" Rears with no hassles at all. Or the 11.6" 328's for half the price.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts