BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E46 M3 rear brakes on a 323...............

5439 Views 28 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JawKnee
what's involved? parts etc.....

(btw: Dan do your job, what's with all the OT posts? :mad: :banghead: :flipoff: )
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Screw M3 brakes. You want X5 4.6is brakes. Have you seen the size of those suckers? :bigpimp:
What I need to find is a good rear big brake kit. ECIS/Porsche hybrid are my only choice so far and there's no way in hell I'm going to put a Porche logo on my BMW.
Since you seem to have considered the ECIS kit, won't Brembos fit? Otherwise, for the M3 conversion, I would think that changing the caliper carrier, calipers and rotors should do the trick. I don't have the BMW parts CD, maybe someone who has it can help you further. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
The only front and rear matched brake kits I can think of are UUC and Movit.

All I want are someone's stock 330 castoffs. :D
Brembo doesn't make a rear brake kit for E46s. Brembo does make a caliper upgrade for the M3 however.
Raffi said:
Since you seem to have considered the ECIS kit, won't Brembos fit? Otherwise, for the M3 conversion, I would think that changing the caliper carrier, calipers and rotors should do the trick. I don't have the BMW parts CD, maybe someone who has it can help you further. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
They don't make a SEPERATE kit for the rears but you CAN put the fronts on the rears...Why I don't know.

The M3 rear brake parts are as follows:
Clem said:

Brembo doesn't make a rear brake kit for E46s. Brembo does make a caliper upgrade for the M3 however.

Attachments

Brake discs and vent shield. I don't know if you need to buy a new vent shield, most likely not.

Attachments

Doesn't AC Schnitzer offer some sort of big brake kit Clem? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Not big enough. :eek: :eek:

If you put the front M3 brakes on the rear. What happens to the park brake?
You can't.

The caliper carriers don't fit. You will need to custom fabricate the carrier AND custom fabricate a new set of rotors.

By the way, the hub on the rotors act as the drum in the rear drum parking brakes.
Clem said:
Not big enough. :eek: :eek:

If you put the front M3 brakes on the rear. What happens to the park brake?
DAMMIT, Someone want to help me petition Brembo for a rear big brake kit?
if you're gonna put M3 brakes on, I hope you'll at least put the Euro cross-drilled rotors on :thumbup:
How about UUC's VSB kit?:dunno:
Clem said:
DAMMIT, Someone want to help me petition Brembo for a rear big brake kit?
Too small :eeps: :eeps: :eeps: but it is still under consideration.
Raffi said:

How about UUC's VSB kit?:dunno:
I suggest you just sell it and start over with a new project car. Preferably something with more "base" power:angel:
Clem said:

Too small :eeps: :eeps: :eeps: but it is still under consideration.
Maybe I just need to find that donor M62TU B44 :eeps: :eeps:
PM 325xiT said:

I suggest you just sell it and start over with a new project car. Preferably something with more "base" power:angel:
I guess that could work:dunno: :p

But I don't know if you could handle 286 kmh:yikes:
Clem said:

Maybe I just need to find that donor M62TU B44 :eeps: :eeps:
What front brakes did you do???

Most of the big brake kits swap the fronts because of the larger proportion of the braking they do. For example, I thought that the new A4's brakes are ~12" in the front....but ~10" in the rear.

With a high percentage of the braking done by the fronts... why bother with that big rears? You could just do the 330's 12.6" Rears with no hassles at all. Or the 11.6" 328's for half the price.
I'm thinking 14" Brembos up front.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.