BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although it looked like the BMW E46 M3 strut brace would fit a
non-M E46 we didn't know for sure.
At Limerock Saturday, I set one in place over the area where it goes on a 328ci, and again it looked like it would fit.
Today, parts guy Paul McLaughlin installed one on a E46 330ci and he called me saying that it fit. He sent the following pics.
Paul still has the best deal on these, so far.
Soon (May 4th maybe), I'll be installing one in my garage on a brand new 2002 330ci someone is stopping over with. Will be checking clearances, recording the amounts. Will be posting some detailed pics along with the data soon after.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
But does it actually do anything?

It was my understanding that the rear needs the strut brace far more than the front. I kinda thought the front was more show than function unless you're driving 9/10 or more.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
alee said:

It was my understanding that the rear needs the strut brace far more than the front. I kinda thought the front was more show than function unless you're driving 9/10 or more.
And what is wrong with driving 9/10 or more? :dunno:

G

·
alee said:

If you're going the "show car" route (and these cars will NEVER see a track) the bar is ALL show. And for public road driving, unless you cross over into highly irresponsible (which I admit I have done), you would never notice one either. But if you track the car, you will notice and it will provide a noticeable benefit.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
TD said:

If you're going the "show car" route (and these cars will NEVER see a track) the bar is ALL show. And for public road driving, unless you cross over into highly irresponsible (which I admit I have done), you would never notice one either. But if you track the car, you will notice and it will provide a noticeable benefit.
I'm still thinking hard about getting a rear one. I'm 90% convinced it will improve everyday driving, and do something about the rear seat rattles.

The other 10% of me is wondering what else I could buy from a 2002 model year to update my car. ;)

·
10,856 Posts
I will tell you that I notice a significant difference in the way my car drives when I take the cargo net out. The amount of extra flex in the body is VERY noticable. I imagine that a rear stress bar would make another huge leap in stiffness. The question, of course, is whether or not this can be done without ****ing up the car's trim.
Go for it, Al. :) Stiffness is a wonderful thing.

20,210 Posts
TD said:

BMW is now including this brace, as of mid-March production, in ALL M3's it ships worldwide.

This was confirmed by several people today (through BMWNA).

So apparently, BMW thinks it's important enough for people to have one (on M3's anyway).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts