Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i didn't post this so people can fight over it. I was just wondering if people have seen these two cars go at it and the results, thanks a lot

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
20,210 Posts
BMW330CIM3 said:
Hey guys i didn't post this so people can fight over it. I was just wondering if people have seen these two cars go at it and the results, thanks a lot
yep, Z06 failed miserably in the Luggage hauling shootout Road & Track published last November.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Summary

Nat Brown said:

To summarize the article:

"...when you see the Corvette or the Porsche on the road ahead, you'll be able to zoom past and have three of your friends help you wave good-bye."
The only way you'll be able to "zoom past" a Z06 is if he isn't racing. A Z06 will crush an M3 at about everything racing related. They are two completely different types of cars. If you want a racecar get the Z06, the M3 is fast sportscar with style, comfort, class and a back seat which is why I chose it over the Z06 (well that and total a-hole salesman/sales manager at the Chevy dealer.)

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Re: Re: Summary

Heresy said:

The only way you'll be able to "zoom past" a Z06 is if he isn't racing. A Z06 will crush an M3 at about everything racing related. They are two completely different types of cars. If you want a racecar get the Z06, the M3 is fast sportscar with style, comfort, class and a back seat which is why I chose it over the Z06 (well that and total a-hole salesman/sales manager at the Chevy dealer.)
agreed. I think the z06 looks damn good too. I saw one on the highway the other day, driving at the speed limit, so I was able to go next to him to check it out, the driver waived at me and I gave him a thumb up! =)

--Andrew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yup, they're awesome. Deciding between it and the M3 was a hard decision; I was leaning toward the Z06 despite it having only two seats but the aforementioned a-holes pushed me back to the M3. I'm glad they did now, I love my BMW.:thumbup:

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
quite a few people in S54 M Roadsters . . .

can take Z06s at autocrossing (factor in driver skill). When I was shopping for cars, I was also looking at ZO6 (and Corvettes) because I qualify for the employee discount. Between 1) the fact that I could not get a dealeship anywhere in the US to offer the discount on a Z06 2) the closest to CA I could get the discount on a regular Corvette was Utah or NM 3) every Corvette dealer in CA was a total a-hole (and knew it) and finally 4) stories of GM quality sealed the deal. I stayed with BMW. :)

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: quite a few people in S54 M Roadsters . . .

scottn2retro said:
can take Z06s at autocrossing (factor in driver skill).
Driver skill is the determining factor when looking at cars of similar capabilties. If the best drivers could do the best times in M Coupes/Roadsters, the Z06 wouldn't dominate SS like it does becuase the best drivers would be in the M Coupes and Roadsters.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
Re: Re: quite a few people in S54 M Roadsters . . .

Driver skill is the determining factor when looking at cars of similar capabilties. If the best drivers could do the best times in M Coupes/Roadsters, the Z06 wouldn't dominate SS like it does becuase the best drivers would be in the M Coupes and Roadsters.
Point well taken. I think it's a credit to the M Roadster just to be grouped with the Z06 when you look at the cars on paper. For a car with supposedly no handling, some people have managed to hold their own (with some mods :D )

http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/nationals/2002/results/asp.html

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

Heresy said:

I have to agree. Actually, I'd say that it doesn't take a Z06 to outrun (and outhandle even?) an M3... I had 2 C5 Coupes, and the last one ('01 with 350HP), performed better than my former '02 M3... Oh, and I won't even mention torque... There's simply no comparison. :D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Summary

ALEX325i said:

I have to agree. Actually, I'd say that it doesn't take a Z06 to outrun (and outhandle even?) an M3... I had 2 C5 Coupes, and the last one ('01 with 350HP), performed better than my former '02 M3... Oh, and I won't even mention torque... There's simply no comparison. :D
I'll bet that Vectra has a ton of torque, right Alex? :p :flipoff:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Summary

nate328Ci said:

[homer]
mmm...2,000 ft/lbs of torque
[/homer]

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Summary

nate328Ci said:

:flipoff: :D :flipoff:

PS: 19.4mkgf @ 2800rpm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Summary

Nat Brown said:

To summarize the article:

"...when you see the Corvette or the Porsche on the road ahead, you'll be able to zoom past and have three of your friends help you wave good-bye."
damn it.. reading stuff like this make me want an M even more..

·
Car Junkie
3,390 Posts

isaacly said:

damn it.. reading stuff like this make me want an M even more..

No Z06 would be passed by an M3 unless there was a mismatch of driver skill. The Z weighs a bit less, has more HP and much more torque, and is a sports car in its purest form. The M3 is a much more comfortable car that offers stunning performance, but don't expect to beat Z06s on a routine basis. Even a stock C5 will pose a threat in most cases.

·
Registered
547 Posts
here my experience racing a Z06... i was going down PCH... and i saw a yellow Z06... it was a caucasion male driving it... with his girl... my friend and I pulled up right next to him in my M-Roadster with the top down.... it was really late at night prob.. about 2-3 am... so there were no cars.. no the road.... my friend stood up in the car.. and taunted the man to race... i heard him drop his gear... so i did also... we were rolling prob at 45-50 mph.... we both gunned our cars... he was ahead of me... but not by a whole lot....prob.. 3-4 car lengths... he managed to stay ahead of me by this gap unitil we reached about 125-130 mph... he pulled off.... but i kept going.... so i won the race due to default... i knew he pulled off and knew his car was a tad faster... i just wanted to see this mans... breaking point... how much ballz he had.. which he stopped at 125-130 mph.... right after we stopped racing.... and i past him... i to slowed down to 50 mph... good thing i did... highway patrol just passed us on the other side....

·
Registered
88 Posts
My experience with a ZO6...

was at a 1320' track...stock tires....11.924 seconds with a good 60' time of 1.827. His final trap speed was 116.45 mph. His 1/8 was 7.738 and his mph was 93.38. So, these are official times off my track slip and not B.S. times....spoke with the driver, very nice guy....had great respect for bimmers.... but, he had some power underneath that hood....none of the camaro's could touch him....I think he probably won about $500 that day.... How'd I do against him?? Well, let's just say my 60' time was 2.434 against him....

Those things have INCREDIBLE traction and launching abilities. There were probably AT LEAST 10 corvettes there, c5's, lingenfelter s/c ones, etc...running.

If anyone ever wants to goto MIR...let me know...:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts