BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just joined this forum today, already member of a dutch forum but couldn't get my answers there.. :cry:

So yeah basically, I'm about to purchase an E46, and going for a Diesel engine. So obivously I'd like to have fun with this car, and so I started looking for a reliable 320D with 148HP from 2001 - 2005. Meanwhile I started doing some research on some general parts and the engine aswell. That's when I found out that both the 2001 - 2005 320D AND 2003 - 2005 318D have the exact same engine! However there's a great difference in HP and Torque: 148HP / 243 lb.ft VS 114HP / 207 lb.ft.

Now my question is, what are the differences between these two models that allow such a big difference in performance even though they have the exact same engine. Also, what could be done to get the 318D performance on par to that of the 320D.

Thanks in advance guys! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Chiptuning/ECU programming, that's how both of them can do more. :)
My 118D has M47TUD20 engine and it's been tuned up to 150hp (from stock 122), without any other modifications. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chiptuning/ECU programming, that's how both of them can do more. :)
My 118D has M47TUD20 engine and it's been tuned up to 150hp (from stock 122), without any other modifications. :)
Hmmm, your 118D has an M47TU2D20 in it. That engine is the result of the M47TUD20 being upgraded in 2004.

But I get your point though, however, looking at the exact same model so the E46, with the same engine aswell => The 318D can be tuned from 114HP to around 145HP VS the 320D from 150HP to 191HP.

I don't suppose putting the ecu from a 320D into a 318D would work right?

B.T.W. my goal would be to get it from 114HP to 190HP.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
There can be bit other differences also, related on turbo and intake manifold and stuff, but base engine is same.
Taking ECU from another car and making it work is, as difficult, as just programming the original one. Very difficult to do on own, but some shop with right equipment can do it for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I tought, there probably are some slight mechanical differences, but nothing too major. In my opinion it's more software related, and some slight mechanical differences to accomodate the increase in power. I would just like to know what exactly the difference is :p

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hmm.. maybe you should just get 320d then, not 318d, if looking for power.
That way you're already half way in the beginning.
Buying price is not very different, and building 318d into 320d is going to take some effort anyway.

My goal was just to get reliable M47, best engine for E87. Power would be enough even stock, but selling company makes those tune-ups, so basically every car they sell is already programmed for more power. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts