Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
My name is Daniel. I wanted to get into European cars so I bought an E46 325I 2002, the key was messed up when I got it. I drove it to school for one day and on the way back got a valve gasket kit, I parked it to start on the project, and I had to move it for some reason and it did not start. I thought it might be the key so I replaced it at the dealership and it does the same thing... please help. I'm regretting this... I'm willing to put time and money but I gata go to school.

Major Problems:
I turn the key to start, all lights light up. but no crank. battery fully charged, new key, and that's about it. no clicks or anything. I can hear all the selinoids kicking in and the pumps. checked all the important fuses under the dash, and they are all fine.

Also, the key will not pair up with the car (on position, off position, hold the top key while clicking middle 3x.)

I contacted the dealership but they didn't know, they want me to bring in the car, but the car won't even run...

Car:
2002 BMW E46 325I

HELP PLEASE :bawling::bawling::bawling:

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
Hello,
My name is Daniel.

Major Problems:
I turn the key to start, all lights light up. but no crank. battery fully charged, new key, and that's about it. no clicks or anything.

Daniel if the car's battery is fully charged as you say...then it's time to consider replacing the "starter". How many miles on the car? Did the person who you bought it from tell you what they might have done to it...what does it need?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car is at 136k miles, I will replace the battery from my old car cause its an interstate. but the guy didn't tell me anything really. There was a paper in the car of him getting the car diagnosed at 128k miles and the annoying thing is that he drove it about 10k miles before I bought it and it broke in two days... it already cost me $260, and I'm in high school, she was running fine for the first week when we were checking it out and test driving it...

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
the car is at 136k miles, I will replace the battery from my old car cause its an interstate. but the guy didn't tell me anything really. There was a paper in the car of him getting the car diagnosed at 128k miles and the annoying thing is that he drove it about 10k miles before I bought it and it broke in two days... it already cost me $260, and I'm in high school, she was running fine for the first week when we were checking it out and test driving it...
Daniel are you sure you want to do this thing with the BMW? Having a BMW is like, like...you're in H.S right?
Imagine if you will the prettiest , most popular girl there in school (hopefully it's not your sister) anyways, this girl is yours...your going steady...sorry, you guys are "kicking it" think of all the time being spent together....the various places you two are going to...the popular cute girls that hang with her...you my young friend must me "on" all the time. My point is thats a lot of pressure, time and you guessed it...$$$. I got three of these things and I am under a hood almost every day, at night and early mornings I'm reading up on problems that I'm experiencing or others. I also view you tube videos to keep fresh on my mind how repairs go...and as you can see...I try to give back and help others. One reason is that it don't take much for these cars to make you the one asking for help quickly. So you gotta put in your time in maintenance...now how old is that 3 series.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got no girlfriend, and no girl would want me, my school consist of backstabbing Girls, so I devote my time on things that are useful to me, and I do understand you, and I am going to be selling her as soon as I get her FIXED, she is 17 years old. but I would rather fix cars for a living to hang out for no reason and for that money to go to waste. all I want is a solution man... and that is an example your giving me but at least I can gain experience out of it. i just need it to run.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Ok...your the man...
start with the battery make sure it's a fit for your car and I don't think you have to register the battery to the car search here and find out...then move to purchasing the starter...I would give you links but remember you want the experience. Check back with us once you accomplish the task at hand.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,082 Posts
a new starter really? I don't get my paycheck for a while... and the battery is good. I've checked it.
Please explain "I`ve checked it" in detail….

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
So the dealer pulled a bitch move by not coding the key to your car.

Here is a video on BMW keys, coding them to the car, and pitfalls of doing it wrong. Maybe it takes you in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ6enooPkYs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FastBob: my father and i have worked on other cars before. i dont want to messup a BMW and have more tourble but when I mean I checked it. i mean it, the battery is ok.

fredoinSE: i dont think they didnt not pogram the key, i went back to check it and the car unlocks from the outside manually.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think It might be a EWS problem, Any one wanna help? i think the starter is fine, she use to crank like there was no problem...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you. i dont want to replace the start to find out its not that. plus i belive if it was the starter then atleast it would click or the key would pair up... ill check it thank you.

Any other suggestions, dont mind posting please. thank you

1 - 20 of 51 Posts