BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking to own an e46 and have a friend selling an '02 coupe with SMG (latest software update), black exterior/red interior, NAV (with some pixel faults). The car looks nice! It's got 80kmi, has been well cared for and wants $17k. It has what he calls "CSL forged wheels" (19s). It's not been a garage queen but is not beat up at all. Just how rare are forged CSL wheels anyway?

MAIN QUESTIONS:

1) What should I be looking for and asking about that could cost me down the road if I don't find out up front? Ex: I seem to get more Cons than Pros on the SMG!

2) What can be tested/scanned for by an excellent & honest BMW independent shop that should be tested? Ex; VANOS.

3) What would be a generally offending beginning offer? I was thinking $14,500 to start. (I know you can't see it)

4) How many have elected for an Extended Warranty?

ANY & ALL well-meaning, knowledgeable responses will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
618 Posts
Smg is fun, but the pump is the eeak point of it.
To me nothin beats a good ol' 3 pedal.

The price seems a tad high to me, unless it's an M3.
Look for any mods done, check them closely and a ppi is a must

Good luck

Sent from my VM670 using Bimmer App

· Registered
504 Posts
have you driven one with the SMG gearbox? i test drove one my father was looking to buy and it made the noise of a manual (like that certain clunking like sound you get when you shift) but the shifts are so bad.. its almost like the car breaks during the shifts, and the sport button, if it has one, doesnt do anything.. but thats just me, im a manual kind of guy.. and i would agree for an 02 that seems like a little bit of money, still a good car though

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
RUN, don`t walk, away from that deal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something fishy, there *was no* SMG in `02....

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove one on Laguna Seca track for 3 days some years ago...loved the down shifting & multiple settings available. What I'm looking at is an M3.I'd not made that clear in my orig. post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Bimmer App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.