BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Bimmerfest I came to the forums because for some odd reason my 2001 330CI will not reach the proper operating tempature. For example if I’m sitting at an idle and I let the car warm up it will get there and the heat works on full blast. But once I get on the road it’s a different story. The tempature needle slowly drops to the cold side almost down to the blue but maybe one notch over and the heat begins to become weak. I had a check engine light on for P0128 which is for the thermostat. So proceeded to replace this hoping this would fix my little problem. Turns out I’m still running into the same issue? The car will not reach operating tempature unless sitting at an idle. Do I have a faulty thermostat or could it be something that else? I cleared the code and it never came back but I am now left with P1083 P0171 P0174 P1085. I thought these were just vacuum leak codes but could they be adding to the problem? If someone could point me into the right direction that would be nice! Thanks guys just trying to find a solution to my headache and this ones a killer...

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
What brand of thermostat did you buy. Installation of aftermarket cooling system parts is strictly verboten. These engines are made of aluminum and do not tolerate overheating. Did you properly bleed the cooling system after you installed the new thermostat? Go to E46Fanatics to find the proper bleed procedure. It’s important that the cooling system is properly bled.

Allow the engine to fully cool. Then check the coolant level in the expansion tank. The top section of the red float in the tank should be even with the top of expansion tank opening.

The P0171/0174 codes indicate vacuum leaks. The only way to find all of the vacuum leaks is to smoke test the intake manifold. Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I read your post correctly, you replaced the thermostat and there is no change in the behavior of your engine operating temperature. A properly working thermostat will keep the engine temperature to the spec level at all times assuming the coolant level is correct and the water pump is functioning properly. I guess one can not rule out a faulty coolant temperature sensor giving you false readings. If your coolant level is correct then I would question the thermostat you installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts