Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have a 2000 323i M54tu. Replaced dam near whole cooling system except for hoses for heater core and to block (will do soon). So i replaced the seals on my VANOS. Put everything back together WITHOUT A torque wrench. The front PASSENGER corner of the new VCG where the block meets the VANOS has a VERY small oil leak so i either misaligned the VCG tightening it down or i didnt tighten the far left nuts enough (no torque wrench) for fear of snapping one on the VANOS (Will do asap) but it leaks directly on-top of the lower Rad Hose Temp sensor, could that possibly cause the temp needle in the car to bounce around. Car was idling for about 15min before starting to drive, needle in middle whole time. Then wen i started to drive it bounces from middle to 3/4 back to middle this JUST started today. Any advice? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and let me add that the water pump and thermo are Autozone Duralast (quick fix) changed WP twice within 2 mo because threads SOMEHOW got messed up on the first after i took the fan clutch off to replace it with a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Likely a problem with temp sensor given the issue with the repair that you listed I’d stop driving it until everything is done properly and with OE parts. Aid replace the temp sensor too at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you bleed the cooling system, i.e. add the coolant properly and make sure all the air is out of the system? Just had this problem and it was air-bound (because I did it wrong). Did the correct procedure (turned heater up with ignition in 2nd position, remove bleed screw, fill until pure fluid comes out the bleeder) and it's running dead center in the middle of the gauge now.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,082 Posts
Did you bleed the cooling system, i.e. add the coolant properly and make sure all the air is out of the system? Just had this problem and it was air-bound (because I did it wrong). Did the correct procedure (turned heater up with ignition in 2nd position, remove bleed screw, fill until pure fluid comes out the bleeder) and it's running dead center in the middle of the gauge now.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is an important step ! Sometimes those air bubbles can be quite stubborn. Raising the front end of the car a few inches can also help with the bleeding process. Good luck ! :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts