Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week was in a low speed collisions i wasnt moving and the other person hit me going no more than 35(mph), but im sure it was more like 25. My wheels were also turned 1/2-3/4 to the left when she hit me with the center of the front over her car. The center of the impact was at the front right wheel. Just from observation I know that at least the right fender, hood and bumper and headlights (the fender and bumper were pretty banged up) will need to be replaced. The wheel looked slightly bend upwards. The car started up just like normal and i was able to back it up and drive it on to the curb without any problem. The steering wheel also turned without any problem. However when driving it was obvious something was not right which im almost certain was due to the right wheel being bent.

Anyway it was considered undriveable and had to be towed. Im wondering what you think the repair cost might be and what else couldve been damaged that wasnt visible right away, but i guess my biggest question is what couldve been the cause of the wheel being bent? Was it the axl, the hub or something else completely? The rim and rubber both looked fine. The car is a 2002 330xi.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,083 Posts
The fact that it`s an Xi pretty much guarantees a higher repair bill. If it`s over $4000 or $4500, the insurance company will likely total it, and just offer you a settlement.
Good luck !

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,618 Posts
...I guess my biggest question is what could've been the cause of the wheel [appearing to be] bent? Was it the axle, the hub or something else completely? The rim and rubber both looked fine. The car is a 2002 330xi.
Without seeing the "bend," my guesses would be: Strut, shock tower, control arm, steering rack, tie rod or axle. The hub is beefy and unlikely to deform in a moderate impact. Honestly, that's true of several of the possible culprits I listed but, hey, you asked.

Repair cost will depend on the severity of mechanical damage--which is a near-total unknown from what you have posted--and how extensively you can (or will) make use of salvage/used parts. The cosmetics alone, from what you describe (photos would help...), will likely exceed $1,500-$2,000.

Depending on condition and mileage, a 2002 330xi may only be worth about $3,000-$6,000. Prepare yourself for the possibility that your insurance carrier will adjudge the car totaled.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts