Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have a 325ci 2004 model. I went inside wal mart today and came out and my car started than sputtered out in a few seconds than died. I tried to start it again and it would start for a second or two and than die out. I also tried starting it than tapping the gas pedal to keep it running but even that wouldn't work to keep it running. I than decided id need to tow it home. I Put the car in neutral and rolled it to the bottom of the wal mart parking lot. I got in to try and start it a few times before towing it and it started right up no issue, immediately after rolling it. Please help me diagnose this issue or give me somewhere to look in solving this issue. I was thinking fuel pump, but once i got it running i sat at a few stop lights and at idle it didn't even sputter or being to shut itself off. thus directing me away from the issue of a fuel pump. The fuel filter and regulator are brand now also. PLEASE HELP:mad::mad:

·
Team Zippy
551 Posts
How many miles on it?

If the fuel pump is doing a soft fail, it will supply enough fuel for idle, but if you do a larger demand, it won't be able to keep up.

Try this:
Turn key on. Wait one minute. Start car.
Let idle for one minute.
Increase RPM to 2000. Hold for one minute.
Increase 3000RPM. Hold for one minute.
Note any flutter or hesitation. If car dies, turn off, then immediately try to start car once. If car does not start after normal attempt, stop.
After attempt, turn off and turn key back on for one minute. Attempt to start car again.

Not that scientific, but you are increasing fuel demand under a controlled environment.

A better way to check fuel delivery is to check the fuel rail with a gauge; Google 'E46 Fuel Pressure' for all the details.

If it is the fuel pump, search the Wiki or this forum for fuel pump replacement. It's Easy-Peasy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a noise i have coming from under my car. I cannot figure out where i is coming from. please watch this video on youtube and hear the sound..location is right before the rear passenger tire. that is where it sounds like it is coming from. It only makes this noise at idle and when i let off the accellerator.

http://youtu.be/nBRkc9dSG64

1 - 12 of 12 Posts